Fly Tying
Highdesert

Best Tyer Ever?

Who is the best to ever get behind the Vise? Make your own criteria for the best overall Tyer, any area of tying, living or dead. I want to see if there are some names that I have missed that I should check out. Tell us why you think they are the best. For me it's,

Living: Charlie Craven - He seems to be able to tie up anything regardless of materials or species. His tying instructions are extremely detailed and there is not much Mr. Craven has overlooked when it comes to tying his flies.

Legend Status: Shane Stalcup - My favorite person to watch spin up a fly. Some of the stuff he came up with back in the day is mind boggling. After I found the Stalcup Prince I have not fished a normal prince in years. If you have not seen his Netknots videos on Youtube you should check them all out.

I am impartial because they both tie up a lot of Rocky Mountain bugs which is where I pretty much do all my angling.

Well I don't mean to brag,BUT.....Lol

If I had to choose a person then they would have to be well rounded in all styles and types of flies.They would need to be up to date on the newest synthetics as well as old and lost materials and techniques.

Therefore;I'd say Davy McPhail. He is a true master in my opinion.

they would have to be well rounded in all styles and types of flies.

This.

Probably more so in the traditional salmon flies, because the scuds and ants don't use techniques like married wings.

up to date on the newest synthetics as well as old and lost materials and techniques.

That pretty much eliminates all the dead guys.

I have only known a few tyers and seen a few others work, but there are millions of folks living and dead who have tied flies, I'm not even going to guess at one who could possibly, maybe, out perform all others.

Some beautiful flies are never intended to fish at all. Some of my my favorite patterns have never been in a book or video, the guy that invented them was a well known local, unknown beyond his waters, that has been dead a long time and never taught anyone his style.

"Best" is not a useful designation cuz,even as you point out,the span of time and specializations makes such an exclusive category unhelpful.

If "influential" is what is wanted, some of the same misgivings apply. In addition, influence may be great but only in a small world. For example, salmon fly tyers are a relatively small group and only they can truly judge, the use of materials, proportions, and design features going into their creations. Trout flies cover a much wider field and the words "most influential" are all but useless there too.

It can work as a subjective description if you stipulate which tyers most influenced the type of flies you make and use.

For me that would be the nymphs and wets of Gary Borden and Gary Lafontaine.

Rocco

I can't comment on most of the "big name" fly tiers ... since I don't own a single book by any, nor do I actually watch many videos, besides those posted on this site.

So ...

As far useful flies goes ... I AM the best tier I know. I catch more fish on the flies I tie than all the flies tied by other tiers ... period !!!

As far as innovation goes ... I have to go with Dron Lee. He always amazes me with his use of materials and the finish of his patterns.

As far as pretty goes ... Just about all of the frequent posters here. You guys all tie some very pretty flies, most of which I know I'll never be able to do. AND, if I bought them, I wouldn't fish them. They'd go into display boxes.

They would need to be up to date on the newest synthetics

I would personally eliminate anyone who made heavy use of synthetics from consideration. And maybe anyone who couldn't tie in hand, without depending on a vise.

Hard to say. For overall "variety" I like Davey McPhail. There is some guy on this forum that does videos by the name of Tim 😁, I like his "variety" also.

Mostly I lean toward the local tiers. There are a lot of them that are innovative and do a damn fine job. Some have even managed to make a name for themselves.

They would need to be up to date on the newest synthetics

I would personally eliminate anyone who made heavy use of synthetics from consideration. And maybe anyone who couldn't tie in hand, without depending on a vise.

I wouldnt eliminate anyone who used them personally-heavy use on the other hand yes!I'm generally a Purist when it comes to tying ,but recently started using a few just to see what the hype was about.

I also strongly agree with your "tying in hand" remark.When I was a kid I couldn't afford a vice.Starting by tying in hand gave me a real appreciation for the vice!

A little over a year ago Davey McPhail was at a local fly shop here for their annual shindig, tying fles, teaching a small class (I'm told some scotch was involved), etc... I was out of town and didn't change my travel plans to go. My butt's still sore from kicking myself whenever I think about it.

Davy Mcphail is definitely up there, and so is Hans Wielerman. I can't tie in hand and don't personally know anyone who can. I googled it once andn say a person tying a salmon fly in hand and it took him about 30 minutes. Placing a requirement for that, I just don't see.

Difficult and unjust to define "best" . Best at classic salmon flies? best at size 32 royal coachman's ? best innovator, best teacher. Never liked the term best or master fly tier. No definable guide.

I have had the pleasure of the advise and help of many tiers. Some in shops, some streamside or in camp, and some in classes or seminars.

Most of my list would be from New England, Catskill, or Atlantic Maritimes (Canada) not because they are the best but they are the tiers that I was exposed to the most. My list would exclude youtube or online tiers not because they are not the best as I truly enjoy watching and learning from them but rather I have never met them and personality is a part of my list.

Charlie Malley (gone) from S&M fly tying, learned the basics from Charlie after what the Herter's book didn't teach a impatient kid. Always had the time to show a kid how to grade materials and to find a bargain.

Dave Goulet from Classic & Custom. Dave's shop always had the coffee pot going and he was behind the vise a lot. Dave was a great mentor to many younger tiers and fisherman in southern New England, still alive but retired the fly shop.

Dick Talleur (gone) and Dave Brandt both Catskill Guild tiers with great personalities and the ability to mentor people in the sport. The Catskill Guild still meets and is a great source for their style of tying.

Bryant Freeman from Riverview NB (Eskape Anglers). Ties, dyes materials and has innovated many substitute classic materials. Bryant is a wonderful mentor at the vise and in the shop, a true gentleman for the sport.

This list could go on for a long time, this sport has blessed me as I have met some remarkable people behind their vise and on the water. Many good memories just jotting this reply.

To be honest, I am not familiar with many of these names listed above. Me being more connected with social media and the saltwater fly tying game, I see different stuff. Maybe not now, but in the future some of the "great tiers" in saltwater fly-tying could be Drew Chicone and Nick Davis. Both relatively young but have made a name for themselves and have their own patterns and business.

And for the record, the best tier in my opinion is Drew Chicone, or at least the one I look up to the most...