Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big Oak

Body Material for Saltwater Popping Bugs

First of all...this is my first post here. Looks like a great sight.

I'm trying to find sheets of something....I believe it was called holographic tinsel....that I used years ago to put on foam bodies on saltwater poppers. It was like a 6 X 8 Sheet and I would cut it to fit.

Does anybody know if they still make that?

I can't find it anywhere in catalalogs.

TIA

You can get it from Witchcraft Tape Products. Jann's Netcraft, Barlow's Tackle & Lure Parts Online all used to carry it. Witchcraft markets most of what is sold for tackle making. Also check stores that sell ribbon. I've found spools of ribbon that was holographic, but didn't have any adhesive on it.

I have some rolls of the tape 6" wide in a few holographic fish scale patterns & colors. I have gold, silver, chartreuse green and blue if that would work for you. I would be willing to sell some to you if you're interested. smile.png

BTW, welcome! I'm a saltwater fly flinger too!

Welcome to the site, Big Oak. I hope you stick around long after finding your tape.

Show us some pictures of your saltwater bugs, please !!

I haven't used it in a while. I have both Barlow's and Jann's Netcraft catalogs and they still carry it. It seems to be mostly used to decorate plain spoons or blades. I used it when I was making Bob's Bangers and Crease Flies and occasionally when I was making surf plugs. Doesn't work well on pre-shaped popper bodies I now use and I use tulle now to get the scale patterns on my Crease flies.

Kinda off topic finding you stuff but $.02 on tryin to work the stuff.

It was suggested to me when I made some big poppers for redfish that it would be better with center hole in the body so leader or wire, in case of cudas, kings, etc , than a fixed hook popper. I took some craft store sheets and tried it. Kinda a pain. I put it on cork and foam. There's a post somewhere around here but the pics are prolly junk by now. Never did the foil on rounded bodies and holographic sheets.. Had to cover the whole thing with resin. Lots easier glitter, flash wrap with resin skip the sheets....

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2333.png

IMG_2531.png

Thanks to all of you guys (and/or ladies) for the responses. The first place I'll check out is Bass Pro since we have one here in our little town (Daphne, Al).

The one that I'm tying (or trying to tie if I had the materials) is that Bob Popovich popping bug. I tied a bunch about 10 years ago and have slowly gone through my supply.

If Bass Pro doesn't have it I'll order them via this new innerweb thingie I keep hearing about.