Fly Tying
FishnPhil

Methods and Beads for egg sucking leeches

I am trying to build flies like these: http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern7807.html

The problem is, I cannot get the egg bead to go over the hook. Is there a trick? Are there specific beads (I have TroutBeads brand)? Should I be using a glue stick and glue gun to form the egg?

I am using 1/0, upturned eye, salmon fly hooks. Also have tried size 1, straight eye hooks but I prefer those upturned eyes for these. Have tried to use a nail to make the hole in the middle of the bead larger. Also tried to drill them out to a larger diameter. Both methods failed, leading to broken beads or still not getting past the hook bend.

To be clear, I am not interested in chenille or egg yarn methods. I know those methods work fine, might be better, fast, etc. but I want this specific look.

Here is a picture of what I mean in case you don't want to look at the article linked above:

Egg-Sucking-Leech-Fly-Pattern.jpg

Where exactly are you having problems? No use in crushing the barb if the bead won't go past the bend.

I looked up troutbeads.com.... those are designed to fit on fishing line, not on the hook. The hole is way too small.

rstaight, I cannot get the bead around the bend in the hook. It goes over the bark ok (could crimp it if needed) but that's as far as it goes.

chugbug27, that is what I suspected...there is a specific brand, type, style of bead that people use for these flies and I do not have it. Do you have any idea a brand that would work or what term I can use in Google to get the results?

I know this might be cheating but I use the flo. orange power bait eggs. Soft plastic and they just thread on any hook.

Les

A lot of people drill out the hole with an 9/64-1/8 drill bit to make them work .. it works well for beaded salmon jigs I know this because that was the way I was shown when I lived in the Pacific Northwest..

Steve-stabgnid

Do you have any idea a brand that would work or what term I can use in Google to get the results?

I don't know, no experience with it. I like Lesg's suggestion best, since those are designed to imitate the very egg your leech is supposedly sucking. But if you want glass you can get miyuki beads for a good price at caravan, and if you want colored brass or tungsten you can get those for a good price at wholesaleflyco

Problem is the OP's hook choice, not the bead. There's a reason why if you google ESL in 1/0 on upturned hooks, you will find chenille or estaz is typically used.

Even if you were to find slotted bead of right size/color, dealing with the loop eye is going to be a pain. You might try a slotted cone of the right color, but that might add too much extra unwanted weight.

Lots of other solutions but if the tier is being persnickety, the painfully tedious process of drilling out each plastic bead by hand is best solution (unpractical for brass, unless you want to paint your own). Trick is you have to create a tapered hole in the back to get around the bend, and yes this can be done it just takes a steady hand, something to hold the bead in place, and the right bit. For a hook as large as a 1/0 salmon hook, you may want to use at least a 10mm bead.

Keep in mind there's no law that says you have to put the hook through the bead. You could also just as easily use monofilament to either lash the bead to the shank, or you even sometimes see folks use very heavy line and extend the bead above or over the eye.

Plenty of soft eggs on the market as someone suggested, although I would not recommend using the ones from Powerbait for obvious reasons.

Another solution would to tie an articulated leech instead. Still have to deal with the loop eye, but at least getting it around the bend is no longer an issue. But again, if the OP is committed to the idea of using an up-eye salmon hook, may not be practical.

Better solution would be to use hot glue egg instead. A hot glue egg can be applied to any hook style because the bend is no longer an issue. The yolk, if you want one, could just be a glass bead tied to the shank, or painted on after the fact. I like to coat mine with head cement (a thin UV acrylic would serve as well) to give them a bit more durability and sheen.

Best solution given the restrictions would be to just put the egg on the leader and be done with it. Added advantage is if you think color or size matters, changing the egg on the leader is a heck of a lot easier than changing the fly. Granted this is not always legal so you would need to check the regs, but it is by far the most expedient solution. YMMV

I looked up troutbeads.com.... those are designed to fit on fishing line, not on the hook. The hole is way too small.

Since you already have the beads, could you just tie a regular bugger, put a bead on the line (peg it if you want), then tie on your fly?

original poster said

"I am using 1/0, upturned eye, salmon fly hooks. Also have tried size 1, straight eye hooks but I prefer those upturned eyes for these."

with that being said, have you tried some of the larger craft beads to go over the nend of your salmon fly hook?

qual001_2_large.jpg?v=1496351177

seed beads are not countersunk but will go around the bend of fly hooks

have a look at "crimp" beads. crimp them on behind the eye of the hook, paint it a pretty color and then tie the rest of the fly behind it

Hzu3sYQ.jpg

these were used many years ago by jim pray for his "optic" series of steelhead flies

example

fallfavoriteoptic.jpg