Fly Tying
foambug

hook sizes.....

Is there a link or page or paper, conversion chart for hook sizes ...because there is so many different hook brands ,an some folks only only put brand an model....I deal more in size .an yes I have my own fav brand....thanks in advance

In The Riffle has a nice Daiichi conversion chart. You may need to find several different charts and find a common hook between them to get what you are after.

Those are conversions for hook shapes between brands. That is what puzzled me about the OP's post.

The OP asked for conversion of hook SIZES which I don't think exists. Hook shape conversion charts exist, but there are also some differences in hook sizes such as a size 16 2X short dry fly hook in one brand may not have the same shank length in another brand.

Is there a link or page or paper, conversion chart for hook sizes ...

this pdf lists some similar hooks (apparently he matched them, because he notes the manufacturers discrepancies) so hooks similar in shape (regardless of # long or short) should be close in size

In truth, I'm not altogether certain a small difference matters, I've always used Mustad but plenty of people catch fish on those other brands.

https://app.box.com/s/01db9ea439c7fbd59b55

I hope wat I posted wasn't too confusing. I jus get so frustrated when folks put the brand an model number...but not the size ...

I hope wat I posted wasn't too confusing. I jus get so frustrated when folks put the brand an model number...but not the size ...

I'm still confused on the question because I have never seen a hook that didn't have the make, style and sizes available listed.

could he be asking about the physical dimensions of a particular hook ?

how long is the shank? distance of the hook gape? etc

not necessarily a size 12-14-16 etc

again, this website has a lot of dimensions for a variety of hooks

https://flyhooks.org/

I'm still confused on the question because I have never seen a hook that didn't have the make, style and sizes available listed.

I don't know if this is what the OP is concerned with but I posted about the problem of hook sizing between brands and especially on small flies in this post on NAFFF.

Hook eyes are not included in hook size. That why Orvis has "big eye" hooks in the smaller sizes.

There is an inherent problem in not factoring in the hook eye. In smaller sizes of hooks, the fish incorporates the entire silhouette of the fly including the hook eye. For large fly sizes the hook eye is insignificant relative to the remainder of the hook shank. However, for small hooks like those smaller than size 16, the hook eye becomes a relative greater proportion of the fly "length."

What the hook eye does in small flies is to extend the perceived body length of the fly. Experienced fly fishers have learned that when the trout are picky going down a hook size will often increase success rate. Have you ever though why?

Why should a fly with a shorter body be more successful that a fly tied on a hook shank that actually matches the natural?

The reason is that as the hooks get smaller, the hook eye becomes a greater proportion of the the fly profile. Gary Borger has found that in small flies, the hook eye can add as much as 20% to the perceived length of the fly.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/369624-hook-size-fly-size-terminology.html#post824236

Problem 1. - There is NO standard for sizing hooks that is used by the manufacturers.

Problem 2. - Hook sizes were developed during a time when there were limited hook shapes, mainly straight shanked hooks. Therefore the size of the hook was NOT the gape but the length of the straight portion of the hook shank, measured from the hook eye to the point where the shank starts to bend.

hookbits.jpg

This system is fine for the standard straight shanked dry fly, nymph, or streamer hooks but it does not work for hooks that have a curved shank right from the eye like the TMC 2487-Bl. Where does the shank end on the hook below since the entire "shank" is curved?

I-Grande-16440-hamecon-mouche-tiemco-248

Furthermore, the end point of the fly tied on such a hook varies. Some tiers further along the shank creating a pattern that gives the impression of a longer bodied fly. So the hook size is a less reliable indicator of how long the pattern actually is.

All three hooks below are should have the body length of a size 16 hook. They do not.

DO YOU THINK THE FLY BODIES TIED ON THESE 3 HOOKS WILL BE THE IDENTICAL LENGTH????

Size18hooks.gif

After replying to a post about hook sizing on another BB, I sent the photo above to Gary Borger. He used it in his blog post about hook sizing and including the eye of the hook in the length of small flies to match insect sizes is below.

Note that the hook eye adds 20 - 25% to the length of these size 16 length hooks. That is a significant difference in length as the fish perceives the pattern to be.

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » All Hooks are Not Created Equal

So there are multiple facets to matching the length of the natural and that includes the fact that the eye of the hook is incorporated into the observed body length of the fly pattern when the hook eye is relatively large as it is on tiny hooks.

So if some asks you what size fly year are using and you want to give useful information, show them the fly and let the, choose a pattern they have that matches the fly.

I deal more in size .an yes I have my own fav brand.

then sticking with your favorite brand should eliminate any doubt in what "size" you need to use?

I think this clarifies it, if I understand correctly the problem is: in a pattern list, the hook is listed only as a "model" with no reference to the size?

So, perhaps that fly can be tied on two or more sizes of hooks? Maybe in the step by step or other description the sizes are mentioned? Or a picture with a dime or other size reference as a visual of the finished product?

By listing the model number it gives us a reference to shape and relative length of the hook used and provides a starting point in hook selection.