Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hawkfly

dubbing loops?

i think these are bead head leech paterns. they are tied in small sizes i use them with great

success for smallmouth in lakes fished deep.

My question is are the tails made from dubbing loops? They are so thin/delicate and never unravel

even when fished extensively. Thanks in advance for any help.post-63332-0-04407500-1530376005_thumb.jpg

I can think of two ways to make the tails.

1. Dubbing looped material which is then doubled over and furled so the furling keeps the tail from untwisting.

2. Fuzzy yarn which is picked out and then furled. I think this is how the tail is constructed.

The pattern is a variation on the mohair leech pattern. You can use the same type of yarn for your pattern. Click on the link below

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part535.php

furltail6.jpg

Here is a furled "tail" on a fly. Looking closely at your flies I think I can see the twist that indicates that the tail is furled.

img3fbe60c211192.jpg

I would look for fuzzy dark brown yarn that is the color of the tail like the yarn below.

il_570xN.1061866010_ijqr.jpg

Comb the yarn with hook side of velcro glued to a popsicle stick to pick out the fibers in the yarn and then tie and furl it as I indicate below.

After picking out the yarn, tie one end onto the fly and twist the other end as in the image below and it will twist on itself creating the furled tail. Tied the other end to the hook and presto, you have a furled tail.

05.jpg

they could be made by furling (twisting) a strand of angora or equivalent yarn together

similar to this except with fuzzy yarn

Doug+6.jpg

Just from the picture I agree with flytire, piece of angora (probably untwisted) yarn folded and retwisted. If done right it will twist itself and stay twisted with no end tie.

thanks so much for the answers. I will get started. Assuming practice will let me get a more delicate result

Two things I found on furling tails.

Cut he material off the skein, so much easier to twist.

Turn the material many more times than you think you need.

I fold it over a crochet hook to see if it is furled tight enough.

Rick

To me that just looks like a piece of leech yarn?

have never used leech yarn but these tails seem too delicate and they have some

type of flash worked into them

Silver creek has the link to the furl tail flied I tie. I have caught over 60 fish on one of those flies.

It is made from mohair yarn, so it is durable.

Rick

It could be dubbing set into a single thread, spun and then doubled so it furls. That could be finer.

Cheers,

C.

When I zoomed in on the close ups from hawkfly, they appear to me to be furled.

They could be from a dubbing noodle, dubbing loop, or as Mike suggested, mohair knitting yarn. Either way I think they are furled.