Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RexW

Older Style Bobbin Question

Anyone recognize the bobbin in this picture? I was sent this picture by someone that bought it with some other fishing and tying stuff at a yard sale. They wanted to know anything about it including how old it might be?

The bobbin looks vaguely familiar to me, but I don't recognize it. Another picture from the purchase included a few items with Herter's labels on them. So, I'm guessing this is 1960's to 1970's era stuff, but I don't really know if that is a close date or not. Can anyone help with any information on this bobbin? Thank you!

post-10085-0-31755100-1530504605_thumb.jpg

i think its an older/newer version of a herters bobbin holder

similar to this one

64d4487fbed1a8e66714bc37756e8456.jpg

Have one that looks just like it. Mine is from Herters and from the mid 60s. I started tying late 60s and was one of my first bobbins. as was the other bobbin style pictured by flytire. Not at home until next week but will look at the bobbin for any information when I get home.

Great video. I had assumed that it was plastic,I didn't think about it possibly being aluminum. The picture sure looks like the early Thompson bobbin.

Thank you.

I dug mine out and could not find any markings to indicate manufacturer or model. Mine is made of aluminum and dates back to mid 60s when I ordered a bunch of stuff from Herters.

I have one of the old red Chase bobbins I have had since the early 60's. It still works, but it doesn't hold the spool very well anymore unless I shim it up with something.

Joe

Gene L, you are probably right. I never thought of that. Try to find tying thread nowadays with a wooden spool!

Joe

Youtube Classic fly tyer. He's got a lot of good info, all the Thompson vises. He's a collector. He had a series on Regal, but took it down. Regal is very copyright conscious, maybe that's why.

Anyone familiar with this type bobbin? Couldn't find any model or manuf. on it. Picture doesn't show it very well but back of bobbin has a screw for setting tension.

post-34554-0-71472100-1536352940_thumb.jpg

post-34554-0-59711300-1536352961_thumb.jpg

I have 2 of the black body Herter's bobbins from mid-late '60s, also. They worked pretty well; with that shell they nicely in your hand. And, it was very easy to use your thumb (on the holding hand) to advance or retrieve thread with one hand. The only problem was the tube; it always frayed/cut the thread.

Is the video no longer available?

Thanks, Bob H

Hi RexW.  I was looking out for some vintage bobbins and came across your Thompson Aluminum Bobbin with red spool.   I have two of these beauties and have reconditioned them to work as they were meant to, and was wondering if you know how to get in contact with the person that purchased them in a yard sale.   I have been now tying with the two that I have for several years and always on the look-out for more.   I live in Ventura County California and would pay a very good fair price for more.  Please let me know.  Thanks in advance....😃