Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BobHRAH

Marc Petitjean CDC book

Has anyone bought or read a review on this book? It looks amazing, but is pretty pricey?

Thanks, Bob H

Intriguing. I had not known about this book. Price seems unimportant to me if you are a Petitjean fan (it is his only book after all), but it looks like a limited printing only available currently from one source, which is quite a disincentive. Was unable to find any reviews even on the UK boards, so must not have been out for very long. Petitjean is going to be at the November Fly Tying Symposium in Nov. (http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=209886) so if you are near there you can probably pick up a copy.

There are not that many books on CDC in general, but if you have not found Leon Link's book Tying Flies with CDC, I'd highly recommend it.

Hi Bob, This book is not for the casual CDC fly tyer, it is a thorough study of CDC. After reviewing the book one can see why the cost, 75% of book is photos detail tying techniques. With the names Marc Petitjean and Barry Ord Clarke on cover I would expect nothing but the best. Money well spent for the knowledge obtained.

75% of the book is photos? And you don't consider this a book for the "casual CDC fly tier"?

500 pages & 3000 photos per BOC https://thefeatherbender.com/2018/02/14/petitjean-cdc-the-book/

Review by Martin Joergensen https://globalflyfisher.com/review/petitjean-cdc

~$80, probably a bargain for what is, if you use books or collect them. Price is about a tank of gas...money ain't worth much these days

I'm kinda interested in getting a CDC to compare with Gartside's CPF, the CPF is more attainable for me.

Thanks for the replies.

tjm: where do you get the CPF feathers? Closest I've ever seen is Chickabou, (the late, great) Jack G specifically indicates on his website that they are NOT Chickabou.

Thanks, Bob H

I keep chickens, every hen has a handful,

a feather often overlooked by tyers--a marabou-like feather found just above the legs of a chicken or near the anus. I jokingly refer to these as "Chicken Poop Feathers" (or "CPF") because they are often flecked with tiny spots of chicken poop.

actually I have one duck, I guess I could harvest her feathers, since i just thought of it. Same feather, different bird? Marabou would be the turkey equivalent I believe.

I don't even know what "Chickabou" is for sure, breast/belly feathers maybe? It may be a brand name for CPF that was in competition with JG? just don't know

I purchased it over a week ago. Two days later I was signing for it on my door step. Fast shipping .... the first of the WOW factors.

First thing you will notice is the weight of the book... 2nd WOW factor.

496 pages... 3rd WOW factor.

Photography by Barry Ord Clarke, I believe some 2,500 of them... 4th WOW factor.

It uses a colored edge guide to the various sections, a new one on me... 5th WOW factor.

Topics include (of course ) how to use this book, origins in the use of CDC feathers, how to tie with them, section on his original patterns, his tools, techniques on bodies. thorax, legs, wings, and care of the CDC feather... 6th WOW factor.

Mixed in with all of it are a good number of fishing and tying stories... 7th & 8th WOW factors. Matter of fact I have enjoyed them so much I am also going to give the a 9th and 10th WOW factors.

I haven't finished reading it all, but what I have read I thoroughly enjoyed, and have learned a bit more of tying with CDC.

I haven't finished reading it all, but what I have read I thoroughly enjoyed, and have learned a bit more of tying with CDC.

and maybe even more wow factors! smile.png

and maybe even more wow factors! smile.png

Flytire, thank you. I stand corrected.

AK Skim ... don't be vague !!!
How do you really feel about the over all experience ???