Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

cellulose enamel

heres one for the older tyers on the forum

i was reading one of herters books and some fly patterns referenced using "cellulose enamel" (or "celluloid enamel") on the back of some flies

i did a research on the internet before posting the question here but all i could find was that it was a paint? of some kind. very little info available

i found this photo

herters-lacquer-celluloid-enamel-head-ce

so does anybody know what it was? fancy head ccement?

what would be a substitute?

The Brits have a product called Cellire which is based on cellulose and solvent. It makes a fantastically hard, shiny head. Comes in clear, black, red, and probably other colours. IMHO much superior to regular head cement for making showy, "professional-looking" heads.

Dug out my bottle from my old Herters stuff. Contains Toluol and petroleum Distillates. Directions on bottle says it is a high gloss finish; dipped, sprayed or used for finishing heads on flies. As I remember it, was used after head cement for a high gloss finish which head cement didn't do at that time. Was also used as a final finish on wood plugs after paint job. What I have came with a kit for painting plugs.

My guess as a substitute would be something along the lines of a UV product. I did find some flies I tied way back when but did not use the enamel on them. I used it primarily on plugs as a hard coat on top of paint.

i think a permanent marker on the back of the fly and coated with a uv resin would probably equal the same effect as the celluliod enamel without having to wear a hazmat suit during the application :)

wAKvlza.jpg

Nail enamel would be equivalent if based on nitro cellulose (it was once). I think the difference between nitro cellulose lacquer (head cement) (clear nail polish) and nitro cellulose paint/enamel is in pigmentation.

Anything that dries hard and shiny would be a substitute.

They used to call it dope in model making and I think Testors was (may still be) an example of the stuff. It would be cut with "lacquer thinner" rather than mineral spirits.