Fly Tying
wmw4

Classic Smoky Mountain Flies

Been taking a break from tying saltwater stuff and might get to make a trip up to the smokies later this month so I've been tying stuff that is supposed to work up there. Already got neversinks, stimulators, and various nymphs done. About to start on thunderheads next but haven't seen anything else that I really want to tie. So my question is does anyone have a list of patterns for "traditional" smoky mountain flies? Just want to see if anything from there will get me interested. Thanks!

There is no fly (or tying style) that is more authentic to the Southern Appalachians than the" Yallar" Hammer.

From Don and Kevin Howell"s book, Tying & Fishing Southern Appalachian Trout Flies: "The "Yallar" Hammer has played a large part in the history and development of fly-fishing in the South, and I'm willing to bet my pet Sage Rod that there's not a serious trout fisherman in the Southern Appalachians that has not heard the legendary stories of the "Yallar" Hammer's ability to produce trout."

Kevin Howell owns Davidson River Outfitters.

ISBN #1-893651-02-9

Also, don't forget the "George" nymph, the green weenie (and the pink weenie)' as wells ants and small green pupae.

Joe

My husband and I love the smokies! Size 14 elk hair caddis, size 14 yellow sally (takes on these all summer although the hatch is mostly in May), and green caddis nymph with a little gold wire sparkle!

(Red ice dubbing for the yellow sally is a must)

We tend of have better luck on the NC side of the park btw

Great smoky mountains national park anglers companion by Ian Rutter is a good book. It has photos and recipes for 20 or so classic mountain patterns.

My husband and I love the smokies! Size 14 elk hair caddis, size 14 yellow sally (takes on these all summer although the hatch is mostly in May), and green caddis nymph with a little gold wire sparkle!

(Red ice dubbing for the yellow sally is a must)

We tend of have better luck on the NC side of the park btw

I second the caddis and Sally for up there.Anytime you fish an east TN trout river you must have those!

I have a custom fly I use with great luck there.

Size:14-16

Body:claret seal fur dubbing (or SLF)

Rib:fine gold wire

Hackle:Black and white guinae hen

I call it a Clinch Witch.

Best of luck in my homeland!

For our 25th anniversary we went to Gatlinburg (S**t that was 12 years ago). My wife hired a guide as my gift at Smokey Mountain Angler. Can't remember his name but he put me on all three species of trout, Rainbow, Brooke, and Brown.

The fly was a guide fly of my guides creation. As I remember it had a brown Z-Lon tail, cream dubbed body, and brown hackle.

There is no fly (or tying style) that is more authentic to the Southern Appalachians than the" Yallar" Hammer.

From Don and Kevin Howell"s book, Tying & Fishing Southern Appalachian Trout Flies: "The "Yallar" Hammer has played a large part in the history and development of fly-fishing in the South, and I'm willing to bet my pet Sage Rod that there's not a serious trout fisherman in the Southern Appalachians that has not heard the legendary stories of the "Yallar" Hammer's ability to produce trout."

Kevin Howell owns Davidson River Outfitters.

ISBN #1-893651-02-9

Ill take that sage rod! Never heard of the yallar hammer fly. Ill give it a look.

Kidding about the rod of course.

I've got a whole box of em around somewhere.Ill see if I can find them amongst my many piles