Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

CDC Hatchmaster

So the original hatchmaster I believe was tied with a mallard flank feather. However that is just too large, and would create a fly in the 10-14 size range. Great for larger mayflies, however when tying smaller patterns like this BWO, the CDC feather works great! Also the added benefit of CDC floating without floatant really makes me love this pattern! I can tie it on and start fishing right away! As with any fly that uses CDC to float, you should not add any floatant as you do not need it because CDC uses natural oils in the feather to float.

This fly really does float well, and floats very flat. Every time I put it in the water it sits perfectly. After a few casts I do have to make a few false casts to expel some water, but it will go right back to floating perfectly each time. The tail also looks amazing! And the fly really has that "match the hatch" type of look to it. You can tie this in numerous color combos to mimic other types of bugs. PMD, BWO, and even trico. You can tie these in range from 16 to about 22, however when tying for a larger pattern, like a drake, I would advise using another feather like the original mallard. Overall this is a beautiful and just absolutely cool looking pattern. One that is actually very effective and also really surprisingly easy to tie. If you have mastered parachute posts, and tying with CDC, this fly is very easy. Its also relatively easy to tie.

http://youtu.be/FF0f69f1qqI.

Hook: Size 18 Daiichi 1110

Thread: Olive Veevus 10/0

Tail/Dubbing: BWO CDC feather

Hot Spot: White CDC Puff

Wing: Dark Dun CDC feather

Head Cement: Original Hard as Hull

That's a cool fly, nice job tying it too ! Hah,I just ordered some deer hair and bucktail and stuff but don't own a single feather of CDC. I still tie the old fashion way I guess.

That's a cool fly, nice job tying it too ! Hah,I just ordered some deer hair and bucktail and stuff but don't own a single feather of CDC. I still tie the old fashion way I guess.

Yeah Man, CDC sure makes a nice dry fly! And you dont need floatant! :)

So I wanted to let you guys know I did not come up with this pattern. However I have not seen one with a hotspot so naturally I had to add one because fishing something so small it really helps.

So I wanted to let you guys know I did not come up with this pattern. However I have not seen one with a hotspot so naturally I had to add one because fishing something so small it really helps.

I recently watched a video of Davie McPhail tying a similar fly using wood duck, I think, may have been mallard, but similar technique. But as you stated, no hot spot.

The hot spot will definitely help. It would also be helpful with an orange hot spot. Different light conditions.

I forget things, I guess, but what is the advantage of using such a small hook in such a large fly?

It is a neat tie and the CDC gives it a buggy look.

I forget things, I guess, but what is the advantage of using such a small hook in such a large fly?

It is a neat tie and the CDC gives it a buggy look.

You could go larger with the hook, however, I find for me this Fly floats better with a smaller/lighter hook. It will still float with a larger hook, but not as well. It will start to sink sooner, and need to be whipped and dried out. Where I fish sometimes thats difficult. And Im also used to fishing small hooks, this is actually large compared to most of the nymphs I fish. Im used to Fishing size 20-26 in many places.

Davie McP did the same thing in his video, he used a #10 hook ( I think he said) but the fly looked like a #2 or #1. It looks odd to me as I learned to dress a hook very sparsely.

Davie McP did the same thing in his video, he used a #10 hook ( I think he said) but the fly looked like a #2 or #1. It looks odd to me as I learned to dress a hook very sparsely.

Yes davey makes an excellent fly, he is much better than me! I wish to be as good as him some day. That guy is amazing

Nice little fly. I'd trim the tail before finishing the fly, though, in case you mess up and can't go back and fix it. Wondered why not post the white CDC in the front of the wing? Putting it in front of the wing is so much easier to see and fish seldom seem to care.

Nice little fly. I'd trim the tail before finishing the fly, though, in case you mess up and can't go back and fix it. Wondered why not post the white CDC in the front of the wing? Putting it in front of the wing is so much easier to see and fish seldom seem to care.

Yeah your right, it would be easier to see, and I think I just dropped it behind because I did, not because I really thought too much on specific location. That being said, I think it would look better behind, at least athletically. But function is far more important in Fly Fishing than looks. So, yeah. Ill take a look at it in front