Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Wally wing tool

Was interested in the wally wing tool, but this is about specialized splicing needle (think rope splicing)e for opening thread for dubbing loops. On another video, Daniel also has other products like a mini CDC block and a dubbing brush that appears to be a rifle cleaning bore brush in a nice stainless holder.

I don't think Marc Petitjean is losing sleep.

I didn't see a wally wing tool. I saw a needle with the eye cut open for splitting thread and the guy calling it a tool that he named after himself, I think.

I think this is the video

https://youtu.be/ZRSbJG294jI

There is a problem though. The tool does not produce the correct fold for the Wally Wing. If you use that fold your wings face forward. Wally Wings face outward (See my avatar). The correct fold is easy for anyone with three hands. I suggest keeping your vice empty to hold one end of the feather.

You need a duck or goose flank feather that is symmetrical around the stem.

Remove the fluffy part at the bottom evenly on both sides, keep going until you get to the thinner section of stem.

Next decide how tall you want the wing. Stroke the feather barbs out and down the stem slightly longer than you want the wing height.

Then put the base of the feather stem into your vice, with the curve of the stem downward from the jaws and the barbs out to each side.

Then fold the barbs upward like you are doubling an hackle. Once persuaded to stand upward from the stem draw them back.

The barbs should form half an oval with the stem forming the long centre axis. See the first photo below.

Folding this way will ensure the barbs are "behind" (tail side) of the stem when you stand the wing up. That way, when you peal them, the wings are in the correct attitude.

I do have a tool that can be used to make this fold

post-43582-0-44271900-1550657471_thumb.jpg

This is not really a practical fishing fly, someone was silly enough to tell me I couldn't tie it, so.....

post-43582-0-30563500-1550657925_thumb.jpg post-43582-0-90441000-1550657597_thumb.jpg post-43582-0-29049100-1550657909_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

C.