Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics for Larger Size Streamers?

Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Joe Brooks Blonde post got me thinking about whether or not folks are getting away from using bucktail since there is such a wide variety of synthetic materials available. With the rise in price of petroleum products, it's quite possible that many synthetic materials will also increase in price since many are derived from a petroleum base. Although, prices do tend to increase on many products due to increase in fuel costs, because they still have to be shipped, with synthetics they could possibly increase in far greater amounts!

So, where do you stand ? The first 2 questions are multiple choice, the rest only have a single response.

Thanks!

I've been wondering what synthetics were best used for streamers and/or steelhead flies. I see a lot of steelhead flies using synthetics but can't find them in the local stores.

I know what you mean! With all the different synthetics, I'm sure most shops can't afford to carry everything!

Plus, there are some that are being sold by various companies, with different names, and they're all the same material, so it's hard to pick a substitute if you can't find what a pattern calls for. It was posted in another thread that Congo hair is the same stuff as EP fibers. That's the kind of thing the folks marketing these materials don't want you to know!

Bucktail however, is always bucktail! :rolleyes:

a surprising consistancy in the results.

between fly tyer's dungeon and terminal tackle company synthetics aren't too pricey.

CoachBob, no those are pretty good suppliers, but potentially many synthetics could go up in price as crude oil prices go up. I'm just wondering if prices on such things as bucktails could also go up significantly. You've seen what the demand for saddle hackle has become, although it's not for the same reason. If synthetic prices go up, and folks can still afford to buy materials for tying, I just have to wonder how it will affect other materials. :rolleyes:

they could replace bucktail with doetail

Actually they can't, and it should be called "deertail", because what we call "bucktail" is from both bucks & doe's! :whistle:

too damn many questions, but, I prefer to use bucktail (deertail) for most things where a fiber wing is called for. I also like to use squirrel tail. I have yet to find a synthetic which matches the qualities of good bucktail. I have tied minnow flies as long as six plus inches with exceptionally long and beautiful deer tails. I've tied them less than one inch too. I normally have to wade through MANY deer tails on the pegs of fly shops to find the good ones. Just today I was at BPS and bought a dyed black and dyed yellow deer tail, and they had probably 7 or 8 of each color and I wasn't really happy with any of them, but bought the "best" they had. I have a BUCKTAIL from a deer I shot nearly 20 years ago that has the best hair I've ever seen, up to 5 inches long, very straight, soft, and uniform length, it stacks wonderfully, and I am afraid of using it all. I have two from this past year which a neighbor shot, and they are almost as good. I think most tails you can buy these days come from small southern deer, most with somewhat kinky hair and variable length. Probably I'm overly picky and the fish wouldn't care, but it's always nice to tie with good materials.

I've tried different synthetics and they have worked ok, but i just prefer bucktail......If I were tying alot of bigger flies for the salt, I could see using more synthetics.

Mike

I love a good bucktail fly.You cant go wrong with a good ole Clouser minnow,Leftys deceiver and Sea habit bucktail. I like to add some synthetics on those patterns,giv'em a little more flash and movement.Useing syntheics to make bait fish works for me,I like making a size 4 bluegill pattern that the big bass cant pass up.

Keeping on chuckin'

Bryan a.k.a. 'salty fly'

First of all no synthetic materials is as good as bucktail/deer tail. If you can give me a tapered synthetic material that can be just like bucktail then i be willing to hear of it otherwise the cheer beuty of natural hair is still the best. Gas prices has nothing to with that much of increase but only cause theywill sell it for that because some are willing to pay tbat much for it. Leaving the rest of to look elsewhere for materials without hijacked prices. Absolutely ridiculous!

Do you only tie with synthetics?

• Yes!
  • No!

If you only use synthetics, what is the hook size range you tie on?

• Smaller than 1/0!
  • 1/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 2/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 3/0 or larger but no larger than 5/0!
  • 5/0 or larger!

I can't answer this question, because I don't only use synthetics. And the vote won't go through because one has to answer all the questions.

I apologize for the lack of tact, but this is a poorly written/asked poll.

I will say that I like the looks of bucktail ... but there's some beautiful synthetic material that's prettier, flashier, MUCH more durable and easier to control. I tie with both, but will use synthetics as much as possible.

Do you only tie with synthetics?

• Yes!
  • No!

If you only use synthetics, what is the hook size range you tie on?

• Smaller than 1/0!
  • 1/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 2/0 or larger, but no larger than 5/0!
  • 3/0 or larger but no larger than 5/0!
  • 5/0 or larger!

I can't answer this question, because I don't only use synthetics. And the vote won't go through because one has to answer all the questions.

I will say that I like the looks of bucktail ... but there's some beautiful synthetic material that's prettier, flashier, MUCH more durable and easier to control. I tie with both, but will use synthetics as much as possible.

I was thrown by that one too Mike. There should be an option of I use both, which was asked above but needs to be here too. I tried to skip this question as I don't "Only Use Synthetics" but the poll wouldn't let me submit without answering all of the questions.

I will say that I almost always use bucktail on inverted flies with a wing to help ensure it turns over but often incorporate translucent synthetics.

Actually, my favorite synthetic to use with bucktail is the Kinky Fibre, which is about as close to bucktail as any synthetic with its crinkly fibers.

Kirk

Picky, picky, picky! OK, I added another choice that will allow an answer! Everyone's a darn critic these days! :rolleyes:

I actually had forgotten I made this poll. :blink:

:lol: