Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

I don't like my dubbing loop spinner.

I have a dubbing loop spinner but I don't like it. Here it is.

DSCF2870-L.jpg

It drops the loop if you aren't careful when winding around the hook and it's awkward to use. I saw one in the Orvis fly tying manual that has two separate hooks that held the loop, when you twisted the loop, they come together. I kind of like the looks of that.

I'd like to see what you guys recommend. I've seen the brush makers with the plexiglass clamp but I think that's a little over engineered for me. I'd like to keep it simple.

Thanks Mark

turkey lacer has a hook on one end and sharp point on other, doubles as heavy bodkin- spins between thumb and finger in about half the time and effort I see in videos with fancy tools. I hold the loop open with a finger and load it with the other hand.

turkey lacer has a hook on one end and sharp point on other, doubles as heavy bodkin- spins between thumb and finger in about half the time and effort I see in videos with fancy tools. I hold the loop open with a finger and load it with the other hand.

I could give that method a try with the one I have, just use one of the "hooks" on it. Thanks M

This is the fastest and easiest dubbing twister that I have found. It has ball bearings and is machined so it is amazingly fast and smooth. No more Shepherd's Crook and sinker weight for me.

After I watched Gary using it, I got one for myself. Notice that he has modified his by cutting off a side of the arm so the loop stays closed and the single arm slips off the closed loop easily.
Modified by Gary
Turbo-Spinner.gif
Original
turbo-dubbing-twister_z1.jpg

My dubbit tool was bought 35 years ago from Larry Walkers fly shop in Colorado.

Hareline now distributes it

Yes I like it

This is the fastest and easiest dubbing twister that I have found. It has ball bearings and is machined so it is amazingly fast and smooth. No more Shepherd's Crook and sinker weight for me.

After I watched Gary using it, I got one for myself. Notice that he has modified his by cutting off a side of the arm so the loop stays closed and the single arm slips off the closed loop easily.
Modified by Gary
Turbo-Spinner.gif
Original
turbo-dubbing-twister_z1.jpg

OK, I like this one. I think the way I would use it is to keep both hooks and use it to wind around the fly hook. After the winding is done and tied down to the hook, I will trim it off instead of trying to unhook the twister from the dubbing loop. Does that sound reasonable, or do you do it differently?

I never saw the need for a seperate tool for spinning a dubbing loop. I started tying flies without a bobbin so, my hackle pliers became an indispensible tool - to hold thread tension as well as spinning my dubbing loops.

My dubbit tool was bought 35 years ago from Larry Walkers fly shop in Colorado.

Hareline now distributes it

Yes I like it

I will check them out.Thanks.

I never saw the need for a seperate tool for spinning a dubbing loop. I started tying flies without a bobbin so, my hackle pliers became an indispensible tool - to hold thread tension as well as spinning my dubbing loops.

Interesting. Not sure I could do that. I get frustrated easily. I'll get a tool.

Mine is like the one Silver posted, except it's wood. I think it's from Wasatch.

I also have one that looks like a fly saucer.

Both of them have the two hook system, and I like that.

But I make my loop long enough so that once I've finished spinning the loop, I can grab it with my hackle pliers and use that to wrap it around the hook.