Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Suggestions on a starter rod/reel/line?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'd start at the 5wt range to cover a lot of species.  I pay much more attention to the rods than I ever do my reels at weights below 7 or 8.  

I think for the initial cost, you can't go wrong with a combo for under $150 (likely less).  Once you figure what you want from fly fishing, you can expand with a lighter or heavier rod (from Steve :) .

Take the time to learn and practice casting.  All the gear in the world isn't going to help anyone if they can't cast.  

So, to recap, get a rod, probably a 5 Wt, and get some casting practice in.  Lots of good videos in the interwebs.   

#32 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

Well, Peachy.... whaddya think?  I told you when you asked that question that you'd get a hundred different opinions.  It's what happens around here.  Now you'll have to take in all these opinions and still have to figure out what is best for you.  At least you know one thing:  there are lots of guys/gals with different gear, and virtually all of them love what they have (and think it's what everyone else should have).  So whatever you end up getting, you'll most likely love it, and think everyone else should too.  ☺

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#33 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:05 AM

HARDY HARDY HARDY GUIDELINE LOOP HARDY HARDY HARDY HARDY GUIDELINE LOOP HARDY HARDY HARDY HARDY GUIDELINE LOOP HARDY

#34 Peterson

Peterson

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

I would recommend the Allen Compass. http://www.allenflyf...ass-rod-series/ it comes in 4,5,6,7,8 wts.

It is an excellent rod for $100. Nice medium/fast action rod that won't break the bank. Its a lifetime warranty on all rods and they come in a nice heavy duty rod case.

You could get a cheap reel for the time being, and upgrade if you want to later.

Like many above me have posted, the bass pro rod/reel combo isn't a bad deal (especially if you are just starting out), but you would eventually want to upgrade.

I'm relatively new to fly fishing, and I am confident I'll be fishing with my Allen 4wt. for a while before I upgrade.

#35 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

A very good starter reel for trout/panfish is Okuma's 4/6 Cascade model.

"Graphite" body, massive square inches in the disc drag department.

Reel won't self destruct if dropped, unlike some of the inexpensive cast aluminium types.

Rod? I recommend a two-piece 8'6", 5 wt. for trouts, & a two-piece 9' 7/8 wt. for larger fish.

Trout line - DT 5 wt.

Bass line - WF 8 wt.

Off topic, but try to learn the double haul for flinging larger flies, very efficient, saves the shoulder too.

Welcome to the adventure, it's a life time of learning fun cool stuff.

Always quit when you're through.

#36 PeachySteph

PeachySteph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

thanks for all the replies! I finally bought this one: http://www.walmart.c...it-3pc/20742841

to start with. I practiced with it yesterday (no fly/hook of course, just a little paper to mimic the weight of a fly) on our street and my daughter was standing at a specific spot on the road and my aim is excellent (always within 1-3" of her feet). I think my aim is better with a fly rod than with a spinning :P

i plan to go out and have a go at the marina down the road from here today. i'll be sure to post a status report ;)

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'till you do suck seed" -- Curly (The Three Stooges)

#37 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

Congratulations.  The Medalist reels are hard to find, new.  Is it a 1494 reel?

#38 artimus001

artimus001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

now the funny can truly begin smile.png

if i understand correctly, you are practicing on the driveway? this can be really hard on the fly line. grass is the best area to practice after water.

i'm the ghetto fly guy; enjoying the sport of kings, on a pauper's budget

if you have something to say, you'd better bring your own soapbox

i'm older than dirt, but younger than the universe

#39 PeachySteph

PeachySteph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

Congratulations.  The Medalist reels are hard to find, new.  Is it a 1494 reel?

yes, it is the 1494 reel. :)

now the funny can truly begin smile.png

if i understand correctly, you are practicing on the driveway? this can be really hard on the fly line. grass is the best area to practice after water.

not the driveway. but the lawn/street. about 50/50. 

we went to one of our fishing spots today to really try it out, and well.. let's just say that I felt like a kid just learning how to fish all over again. ;)

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'till you do suck seed" -- Curly (The Three Stooges)

#40 bass master

bass master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

Didnt want to start a new topic on this subject. I am still new at this whole tying and fly fishing. But am not a pro at either. But I have been using a very old shakespear rod and reel. Has to be at least 25 years old. But I can catch fish with it. I wanted to get a newer set up for this year, Used or new. I was on e bay for weeks. I came across Willow and cane. They do mostly bid. I feel i got a great deal on a new rod and reel at about $50.  Its 7-8 weight 9' long. I do bass and carp..Love the carp.  Before you say you get what you pay for.  I was trying some casting at the park. And wow!  They have other weights too. but great for someone that dont want to spend a lot or even as a 2nd or 3rd.  Im just saying take a look. Go to Ebay, click advance, click by seller, Type in willowandcaneshop. Hey, Im happy with it. Like I said Im not a pro and I dont need the best equipment.  All you need is something that can toss the line on the water. 

s-l500.jpgWillow and Cane WCX17 7/8wt L-arbor reel. There is not another fly fishing reel out there that carries the drag system performance for the size at this price. 

NEW for 2016-  Green CORE
Simply the best in the industry for the price. Don't be fooled by other makers.
The new WCX17 Reel Series features a sealed drag surface that increases total drag surface by model: 
The reel, the drag surface and the more resistance available to handle sport fish. 

Using stacked compression washers we've created a durable drag pressure that is a sensitive as strong.s-l1600.jpg

• Willow and Cane
    • 7wt   
    • 9'-0"   
    • 4 pc
    • WCX multi-directional graphite matrix
    • Amazing core strength that absorbs the fight
    • High-modulus blank platform
    • Alignment for easy assembly
    • Lightweight aluminum reel seats
    • Beautiful two color cork handle. Details!
    • Includes a black rod tube w/ separators 

#41 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Right now Bass Pro has their Hobbs Creek 4 pc fly rod outfits on sale - they come in 8 1/2 ft 5 wt, 9 ft 5 6 or 8 wt versions - great deal for $130! Decent rod, reel with disc drag, backing, line, leader, and a hard case for the assembled rod and reel - with the 2 year gear guard, you can make sure you will get a full replacement if anything happens!