Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

triming flies

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

Do experienced tyers trim flies up after there done? After I'm done tying a fly, I like to give it the once over and if it doesn't look symmetrical or is off balance I can't resist fiddling with the scissors etc. And, oh by the way, whats up with stroking the thing while its in the vise.  

#2 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

I carry an Iris Scissors on my vest for trimming flies on the stream.

In the early days of my fly fishing, I was caught in a thunder storm. After the riding out the downpour, I saw rising trout downstream from an overhanging tree. Size 18 black beetles were washed off the tree. I didn't have any small beetle patterns so I cut the from section off of a black ant pattern and left the back section as the "beetle". The fish took it as a beetle.

2062-1.jpg

I don't trim after tying unless the pattern requires trimming, for example, the post on a parachute.

Stroking the pattern/materials as you tie prevents trapping previously wrapped materials from being trapped by the next wrap.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

hell no!

the buggier the better

guys have been stroking things all their lives so why not a fly in a vise :)

The fish care less than we do!

#4 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

I use a nylon bristle 22 caliber bore brush to roughen up my flies.

244_-_pro_shot_nylon_bristle_bore_brush_

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#5 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Perfect, Silver
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#6 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

I want to trim the buck tail on the right hand side. I suppose these things can happen. I'm probably torquing it to the opposite side a bit. I will like the fly better if I give it a little haircut. oops I mean't top

Attached Files

#7 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

I want to trim the buck tail on the right hand side. I suppose these things can happen. I'm probably torquing it to the opposite side a bit. I will like the fly better if I give it a little haircut. oops I mean't top

I would razor off that head, remove chartreuse about one third to half, re-tie with 3 soft wrap, pull it straight up and as tight as possible, then tightly wrap it.

It will be fine for fishing if you snip hair carefully but this is a fast way to learn from a mistake that most of us made... still do
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#8 fishinguy

fishinguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

checking things as you go will prevent the need to trim. If that was my fly is try to just grab it and twist the buck tail back to where it ought to be. If you didn't use a bunch of super glue in there, you ought to be able to tweak it a bit. But,to your question, no, in instances like that I like to make sure everything is right before going on to the next step. Trimming the buck tail would leave a little spot of stubble that would drive me nuts.

#9 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

...and you need to learn to reduce the size of your pictures, so we can see them without having to scroll.... 

#10 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

...and you need to learn to reduce the size of your pictures, so we can see them without having to scroll....

FYI, no scrolling needed for me. Different devices, I guess...
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#11 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

will the fish care? no. Look at some of the atrocious work that passes for commercial flies or even bucktail dressed trebles on Mepps spinners.

Personally, hell no. I tie for me, and I hold myself to a high standard. Make sure stuff is the right size and the right length and the right place and the right proportions BEFORE moving on.

I tie a lot of bucktails- and I am particular about how I do it. It probably takes me 3 times longer to tie one than it takes you. Yours will catch every bit as many fish as mine, I guarantee it.

Trim it if you want, nobody is going to know, or care, except you. The fish certainly will not care.

the gales of November remembered...

#12 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm sure I've been told about to much material before, and I suppuse you don't improve if you just wallpaper over mistakes.