Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Beat on Me, Like a 5-year old's rented Drum Kit Challenge

Winged Wet Fly Rio Grande King Dyslexic Rio Grand King Leadbelly Coachman

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#17 GP flyfisherman

GP flyfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Happy St. Paddys Day to you too  FRN and all!

#18 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

FRN
I have fished for trout in your neck of the woods once. Only truly wild trout I've ever caught. I fished the south fork of the snake one day and the Teton the next. My guide was Dan Oas. He was on the US fly fishing team. I learned a lot. On the south fork caught over 100 in one day. The Teton probably only caught 20 or so. It was a very fun weekend. I fished wife was at a conference at Snow King Resort in Jackson Hole. We had a nice meal at a fine restaraunt every evening. Had plans to go back with a buddy and stay in Victor and fish a few days but a back surgery got in the way. Beautiful area!

#19 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Kudu, I am glad you had a great time. Jackson is a great family destination. Skiing in winter Almost as great as summer, fall fishing.

Did I mention the golf courses?

Wait, I'm hijacking my own thread now... So hit me like a Taylor-made driver on a par 5 tee...
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#20 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

winged wets is something i've wanted to try ever since i first saw one a few years ago, but one video i watched somewhere or an article i read kept talking about how hard it was to get a nice matched pair of wings so i didn't ever bother. now that phg says spirit river is doing it right and you are trying again after a couple decades i may have to give it a try, kinda inspiring me to get at it myself.

not knowing much about winged wets other than what i've seen others tie, to me they look more like clumps of feather barbs but i'm sure that's due to the old product you used. i'd agree with whats been said already. that your heads are too big and the wings too long for sure on B & D. for A & C, i've seen lots of others tied with their wings about that long. maybe it's personal preference like most things in fly tying? in that case, all of them are fine and i'm sure would fish just fine. you have to start somewhere to get good at anything and figure out what you like and what works.

my contest guess, based mostly on the length of your wings. i figured maybe it was something you caught and tried to work on on each new fly you tied

___3__A. Leadbelly Coachman

___1__B. Dyslexic Rio Grande King

___4__C. Rio Grande King

___2__D. Double Wing Rio Grande King

i really like the wonder wing that you tied in your last post

ev8 d, you are getting a free e-book of your choice for being first to submit a contest answer. The contest is still open.

Beginners, Put yourself out there a little that is how you learn.

Look over at poopdeck's thread on learning to tie a better parachute style of fly. He asked for and received plenty of helpful advice and his pictures showed the progress. I will tie two more winged wets, hoping to improve with the advice offered above. Will post after the e-book contest ends.
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#21 Hayemaker

Hayemaker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

__1___A. Leadbelly Coachman

__3___B. Dyslexic Rio Grande King

__2___C. Rio Grande King

__4___D. Double Wing Rio Grande
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

#22 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

The contest is still open!  Extended the deadline to March 31

And, ev8d and hayemaker, you both win a book, just for effort and for setting a good example.  Go to Amazon, search "Al Beatty e-books" and that should pop up four, that were published there since December 2016.  The price is $4.99 to $7.99, pick one and let me know here which one you want, and I will set up a Gift Card or some way to reimburse you if just go with a 1-click buy.  I think you can also get free samples of each, so if you wish to study them a bit more before choosing, that is one way to go.

Come on Folks, grow some brass ones,  submit a contest entry, plus there are plenty more "mistakes" I made in tying these 4 samples,  help me learn, help newbies learn.

Here is a photo from recent JStockard email, it looks very well tied, but does it have any mistakes?

Attached Files

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#23 C LeBo

C LeBo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

__1___A. Leadbelly Coachman

__2___B. Dyslexic Rio Grande King

__4___C. Rio Grande King

__3___D. Double Wing Rio Grande 

.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><(((((º< *
></(/(/(/*>.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><(((((º< *
.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸></(/(/(/(/)*< - - - ><(/(/(º>

Proud To Say That I've Never Bought A Fly In My Whole Life

#24 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

The contest rolls on, I like it.

Here are last 3 tries at Winged Wets, just made up things with some better material than the first 4, much easier to work, less frustrating getting wings married and set, hopefully some improvement is noticeable.  But you be the judge, jury and executioners....

Attached Files

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#25 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Intro-

Although I have tied certain fly patterns for many years, I gave up  about 23.5 years ago on trying to tie Winged Wet flies in general, and the Rio Grand King, specifically.  I found that a Trude style better matched my tying ability and fish were indifferent.  I live in Wyoming, I catch a lot of fish, some pretty big ones.  Yet, my failure to set the wings correctly on this style always bothered me. 

Back around Thanksgiving Crackaig and flytire provided some excellent advice and guidance on the techniques needed to tie Winged Wet flies.  I made a New Years resolution that I would learn to tie a credible Winged Wet Rio Grand King. 

So please review the following pictures and let me know if I can cross this pattern off my to-do lists.  Did I set the wings correctly?

Please point out, because I am truly a beginner on these types, what appears to be wrong and how one might fix any deficiencies. Pummel me hard, if you must, I can dish it out- I can take it- I will learn stuff and maybe some less experienced novices will too!  Tell us your solutions, ie ., how you would tie it differently?
 The Contest and Prize-

Look at the four samples I named and provided.  If you are the first to do so - and can label each fly , numbers 1 through 4 in the correct order that I actually tied them,  I will buy you one of Al and Gretchen Beatty's new e-books on Amazon.  While they are free to Prime Members, the e-book prices range from $4.99 to $7.99.  I think they are a tremendous, cost effective  resource to new and old tiers alike.  Beginners- these e-books will expand your repertoire immediately and save you unneeded expenses for some tools, materials, and instructional manuals. Al and Gretchen also will give you some very practical work-arounds and material substitutions that will save you a bunch of hard earned money.  The Beatty's are friends of this forum and have been writing and teaching fly tiers for many years.  Hope they plan to continue!  All entries must be received no later than March 31, 2017 at 1159 PM, MDT.
 Next resolution-

My St. Patrick's  Day resolution is to tie a Wonder Wing Adams.  These flies are amazing to look at and will fish most trout waters.  Al has done a You Tube video that you can also view, if you want to download the e-book on these Wonder Wing patterns.  I look forward to comparing your work to mine.  Post your flies in this thread.  I will have mine completed before March 17 celebrations start.  I am confident that I will fulfill my latest resolution to be a more practical and versatile tyer in 2017.
 Contest Answer Sheet-

So here are the four Winged Wets I tied and named; and left to right A through D.  Which one did I tie first, second, third, or fourth?

_____A. Leadbelly Coachman

_____B. Dyslexic Rio Grande King

_____C. Rio Grande King

_____D. Double Wing Rio Grande King

Last Call for contest entries to get one of Al & Gretchen Beatty's new ebooks ... The How To Tie Series on Amazon... Wild ass guesses are still free here. CONTEST WILL Close, ENDING Friday night at Midnight!!!
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

#26 Hayemaker

Hayemaker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Midnight your time, or midnight according to the forum?

#27 Hayemaker

Hayemaker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Nevermind, my timezone was not set.

#28 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

1159pm Friday, Mountain Daylight Time, so 1059pm if you are Pacific Daylight time.
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

😎

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Winged Wet Fly, Rio Grande King, Dyslexic Rio Grand King, Leadbelly Coachman