Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

"Webby" Hackle

Webby?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TimKil38

TimKil38

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

I've been fly fishing for many many years, but just got started into tying.   I've seen tying directions that call for "webby" hackle but I can't find a definition for what that means.  A large fly tying catalog has a product that says a hackle is "semi webby."  I'm starting with woolly buggers since that's the fly I lose the most.  

#2 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Woolybuggers are generally tied with saddle hackle.  Other than Whiting's and Metz's genetic hackles, most saddles will be webby enough.

Web refers to the part of the feather where the barbs have distinct fuzziness, rather than the clean, well defined single strands found on dry fly hackles.  All hackles get webby near the base, but some are webbier than others.  Chinese and Indian saddles are what one usually uses for woolybuggers and the like.

#3 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Here is a good illustration of various hackles. http://www.eflytyer....s/feathers.html

All of the top row, and the bottom row, from the blue feather to the right, are webby hackles.  For a woolybugger, the feathers on the bottom row, from the blue feather to the right, will all work well.  The last one on the right, the schlappen, may be too webby for smaller 'buggers.

#4 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

This is type of saddle hackle you want.

w_whwbp_1.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

1-4-oz-Strung-DYED-BROWN-SADDLE-HACKLE-5

look for strung hackles

The fish care less than we do!

#6 waltersty

waltersty

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

Here is a good illustration of various hackles. http://www.eflytyer....s/feathers.html

All of the top row, and the bottom row, from the blue feather to the right, are webby hackles.  For a woolybugger, the feathers on the bottom row, from the blue feather to the right, will all work well.  The last one on the right, the schlappen, may be too webby for smaller 'buggers.

This is an awesome link.  Thanks for the share!

#7 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

You can buy Ewing saddle hackle from sportsmans warehouse for about 20 bucks I've been using them for buggers and they have been great.
http://www.sportsman...42457/cat125109

#8 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Strung saddle hackle is usually pretty cheap ($6/pack or so).  A step up in quality would be the Ewing or Whiting Bugger Pack.  But I've tied a ton of buggers on strung saddle.

#9 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

I have a whiting bugger pack as well, those ewing I linked give you a lot more feathers.

#10 guitarplayingfishingguy

guitarplayingfishingguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

I am an intermediate tyer and do not worry so much about what kind of feathers I use (yet) as long as they are the right size/color. As you develop your technique and get a good grasp of the basics you can build on it and start to gather more "proper" materials. For now, I often still use lower grade feathers for nymphs, streamers and dries (especially parachutes) and I still catch fish. For buggers I use cheap strung saddle and the fish haven't complained yet! This guy was caught on a Para Adams that was tied with cheap hackle. After the first couple fish the fly did not want to stay on top but they still hammered it anyways.

Attached Files

I've been fishing since I could walk and it's all I really like to do.

#11 David 82nd

David 82nd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Tim. You may want to look at " Feather emporiums web site , this guy has a break down on every feather that's been on a bird , he literally list birds A-Z there uses and what parts of the bird are used for specific types of flys , there's birds on there I never knew existed , good read and very informative, I've done some orders with him and did fine , pretty informative site , just my 2-cents