Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Daves Hopper yarn question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 canyon7

canyon7

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

I watched a video on tying this fly, and he uses a yellow yarn. I don't have any yard, but would chinele work, medium in size? Do I need to go to a fly shop and buy the yarn? It's supposed to be a dry fly.

Thanks for any help folks

Brian

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,753 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

I don't know what video you watched, but this one shows it being tied with synthetic fibers.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

The Dave’s Hopper I used to tie and fish with used Polypropylene Yarn.  At fly shops it’s usually called Poly Yarn.  It’ floats.  Chenille not so much.

#4 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

As Floyd said Dave's hopper uses polypropylene yarn because it floats.You can also get this yarn from Bonnie Craft cord.Just cut a section and comb it out to untangle it.You can find it in several colors at Hobby Lobby or craft stores.

Chenille could work but it absorbs water so the fly may not float as well.You can also substitute another color poly yarn if you have any on hand.

wmu-662467-bonnie-macrame-craft-cord-6mm

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#5 canyon7

canyon7

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

thanks guys, you've been a lot of help. You guys are the best. Sure appreciate the help and information.

#6 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

I think a card of poly yarn costs maybe $3 at most. The advantage to me in buying that from the fly shop is it's already straight and ready to tie . And I don't use enough to go buy a whole skein of the stuff. The card will last me years.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#7 Wetsock

Wetsock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

I steal it from my wife

#8 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

I think a card of poly yarn costs maybe $3 at most. The advantage to me in buying that from the fly shop is it's already straight and ready to tie . And I don't use enough to go buy a whole skein of the stuff. The card will last me years.

I'm with Kentuckysteve. Bonnie's Craft cord is cheap at Walmart. Order it online for $8.10 with free pickup at your local Walmart. Plus yellow is a popular color for polypro strike indicators. Order it here:

https://www.walmart....t-Cord/24622117

$(KGrHqYOKo0FH,tDVjshBR7vdyCkYQ~~60_58.J

maxresdefault.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#9 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

100 yards ? It would be incredibly high volume if I used 4 ft in my time remaining on this planet. Although I guess it would be good for dry fly posts too, so make that 8 ft.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#10 canyon7

canyon7

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

One very nice gentleman sent me a skein of this stuff, and I'd like to thank him for it. It was here waiting when I got here.

thank you so very much sir.

#11 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:55 AM

That yellow is discontinued per the company website. If you see it buy it. They replaced the yellow with chartreuse, not sure if that's a good thing or not.