Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wet fly critique

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

I haven't tied too many winged wet flies. Just a couple here and there messing around. This one is something I was playing around with tonight but wanted to get some opinions to see what I can do to improve it. A few things I can see right off are: the head is horrible...need to get it smaller, the tail needs work, and there's probably not enough contrast, even with the gold tinsel.

Any words of advice? It's all peacock (swords for tail, herl body, and body feather fibers for the wing) with gold oval tinsel and, on this one anyway, red uni-stretch for the head.

Sorry for the poor pic. No decent light where I'm tying.

Attached Files

Tight lines,
David

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

words escape me :)

i think you covered the deficiencies in your own critique of what you posted 

The fish care less than we do!

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:34 AM

Just a couple of thoughts, you can follow or not:

You covered it but what do you do about those things ? I personally, if tying this, would shorten up the tail a bit. The tail also needs to sit on top of the hook shank. I would tie in a few more fibers first off and only two loops of thread initially and let the bobbin hang. The weight of the bobbin will hold the swords while you move them about, be that forward or back and on top of the hook shank. Then tie them down with nice tight wraps going forward. Your body wraps and rib are probably fine.

You know you need to move the head forward, so don't tie in your wing fibers so far back, aim for about 1 to 1-1/2  eye widths from the eye as a tie in point.

As far as contrast, you could lose that wing material or reduce the strands to just a couple  or so, then maybe use gray squirrel or mallard flank fibers, calf tail fibers etc.for the actual wing. Or follow a pattern recipe.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Dave, thanks for the detailed response. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try again tonight.

I didn't even think of using gray squirrel for the wing. I think that would look pretty good. I was planning to use wood duck flank but couldn't find my feathers.

Anyone have any good sites or books for rolled wing tutorials?
Tight lines,
David

#5 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

Well the Picket Pin uses gray squirrel, you can look up videos on that. Here is one on a variation, you could vary it yet again LOL :

https://www.bing.com...C06FE&FORM=VIRE

And one of my favorite brook trout catching flies using primary duck feather wing:

https://www.bing.com...A3DBE&FORM=VIRE

And this fly uses wood duck flank feathers for the wing:

https://www.bing.com...2BDE8&FORM=VIRE

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#6 keeper359

keeper359

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

Check out this link for some ideas on wet flies
http://hatchesmagazi...man-collection/
I pick one and just copy what I see until it looks good to my eye.
Don is a master at tying.
We are only limited by our own imagination.

#7 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

That's not a bad fly at all!Dave pretty much covered it and you know the head is a bit large.Either way,that fly would catch fish!
Check out Davie McPhail on youtube.The man is a master of all things fly!He is detailed and an excellent teacher.When he was on the forum many years ago,I learned a ton from him!
All the best!And let us see the next one you do
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#8 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Try tying the Zug Bug (yours vagly resembles it).
It's an EZ to tie, fish catching pattern and you have the main ingredient....peacock.
For a link here ya go.

https://www.bing.com...BED&FORM=VRDGAR

#9 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Take a look at an Alexander fly.  It's close to what you have tied, silver tinsel body and catches fish from experience.

#10 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Alexander 

Attached Files

#11 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

Thanks guys. Might get back to this one tonight. Tying up a bunch of stuff for a trout trip and his one could go with me.

I like that Alexander fly. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Tight lines,
David

#12 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Incase you can't find it or tell from the picture, here is the basic structure:

Tag- Red floss

Tail- Peacock

Body- Silver tinsel

Hackle- Dark (Books I've read give several different options for hackle, I personally use one close to black)

Wings- Peacock (With optional scarlet fibers added, I use the scarlet about half the time)

Head- Black

Also, if you really want to get serious with wet flies, you should check out the Classicflytying.com.  I learned a lot there and there are some great experts that will give you sound advice.

#13 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

Actually it's pronounced Alexandra, not Alexander.  There is an older version that I'm working on where there is a light turkey wing and the peacock swords on the outside of the turkey. 

#14 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

...and it's spelled A-L-E-X-A-N-D-R-A 😏

#15 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Move that wing underneath the hook, work on a smaller head and you would have a decent leech pattern similar to a Teeny Leech.  It's tied with peacock, it'll catch fish. 

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com