Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hungarian partridge-French Partridge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David 82nd

David 82nd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

Well this took me some time to get the hang of working with As you all know it's a delicate " feel" to work with , but anyway I purchased a full " skin of Hungarian, and large bag of the French partridge, both beautiful , the French is larger though , it really doesn't go well with 18-20 hooks ,
Question what do you guys use the French for ? , looking for pattern suggestions, or I can just use for larger hooks

#2 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Why the French Partridge Mayfly of course.

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Anywhere Hungarian Partridge is called for you can substitute French Partridge

Also

Legs
Tails
Wing cases

Experiment

The fish care less than we do!

#4 David 82nd

David 82nd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Thanks guys , the feathers are beautiful patterned , I'll put them to use

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

Look at the PT nymph, too.  I just learned how to tie those, last January in Richmond.  Seems to me, the pattern can be tied with any similar feather.  The partridge feather will give a different color, which might just be the trigger you need to catch fish!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis