Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Where do I locate Golden Pheasant neck feathers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hi... I want to tie the original Halladay Adams pattern using the same feathers, etc he used.  That said, where can I find "2 strands from a golden pheasant neck feather"?

These are my choices from my favorite supplier:

• Golden Pheasant Complete Head
  • Golden Pheasant Crest
  • Golden Pheasant Tippet Complete
  • Golden Pheasant Tippets Loose
  • Golden Pheasant Skin with Head

Can someone point me to the correct item in the list above where I can find the neck feathers?  I would really appreciate it... :-}

#2 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

The neck feather is from the back of the neck.They would be found on the head and crest.

You would be looking for a couple strands of these.

Neck feathers:

91aHPvnw8JL._SX355_.jpg

Crest feathers:

s-l300.jpg

eng_pl_Wapsi-Golden-Pheasant-Complete-He

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#3 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

It's generally called "golden pheasant tippet."  Any of the options above will give you an abundance.  I personally prefer to buy the complete head.  That gives you the full size ranges in the tippet, as well as the crest feathers.  Crest feathers are fun to add as an accent to your flies, and they also make pretty good tails.

#4 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thanks guys... a complete head has been ordered... I appreciate your time... SD