Fly Tying

Tying with materials from craft & dollar stores

I just finished writing an article for the Contraband fly Casters newsletter about tying with materials fomr craft and dollar stores which might be of interest. This is important to tyers in the Lake Charles, LA area since the nearest fly shops are over 120 miles away. the article and fly pattrns will 3/4 of the newsletter...

The link is:

http://tinyurl.com/ct6pz

This is a Geocities site with limited bandwidth, so if you can't get it the first time, keep trying. If you still can't get it, contact me with your e-mail address and I can e-mail the pdf file (1751 kb in size).

Mark Delaney

Mark I've tried 5 time to download this and it wont let me. Is there anyway you could copy and send it to my email and I could maybe make a "pinned" topic of it? sounds like a great article that would be of help to all of us if I could dunno.gif

SD,

Just send me your e-mail address at my e-mail address of [email protected] .

(an address that I use for just such things, don't worry, ti already gets a trremendous amount of spam...I've got other addresses for other applications)

The file is in pdf format, so I can send it to you with no problem. The Geocities server it is on is a free account with very limited bandwidth. the file is fairly large because it has quite a few color pictures in it. I've got no problem posting it elsewhere since I don't have server space. Eventualy it will posted as part of the club newsletter, but the more people who can access it the better. As soon as I get an e-mail address from you, I'll send it. I'm working late tonight up in my office, after teaching a night class. I'll check my e-mail every once in a while while I'm working to night...off to make up a CHEM 101 homework assignment!!

Mark Delaney

Hey Mark, thanks for the interesting article. When I first started tying and couldn't afford a lot of different materials, I scrounged around Hobby Lobby, etc. for materials. You've come up with some that I missed.

Howard

Mark,

thanx for all that info wrapped in this article. You gave me plenty of new ideas!

I have bought feathers and marabou at a craft store before. The feathers were alright, but nothing close to quality you get a a flyfishing supply store. But as you pointed out there are numerous flies where craft store quality feathers will do the job just right.

As for marabou: I have found many more colors in the craft store I went to compared to "my dealer" and the quality was just as good (after some sorting of course).

The beads I had picked up didnt work for me at all. They wouldn`t go around the hook bend... :blink:

I quickly figured out why after I bought my first "real" pack of beads.

Andy

Andy,

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I had fun writing it.

To use those craft store beads, you'll either have to use a very light wire hook with not too much tempering so you can bend it open enough to get the bead on, and then bend it back. Usually you'll also have to mash the barb down as well (barbless isn't all bad though...better hook up raatios, but don't let the pressure off...). The other possibility is counterdrilling the bead with a Dremel tool and small bits...I don't do that...I've already managed to drill enough inadvertent holes in my body with drills over the years...way too panful!!! So I'll buy the counterdrilled fly specific beads if that's what I need. Other beads can be used for other body types...I used a wire bead for a body, but it just slipped over the eye of the hook and was kept in place at the rear by acouple of turns of peacock herl and at the front by the same. The problem was in finding a long enough hook. I ended up using a cricket hook in a rather small size. With no fly shop near me, I often just walk through the craft store thinking "What could I possibly use that stuff for?" Most of the stuff ends up working pretty well. I've had a few complete flops, but they are few and far between. Just akes some imagination. Turns out to be a differetn kind of challenge.

Mark Delaney

glad to see that i am among the elite few who believe in using craft stores for material. In the summer 06 edition of fly tyer they have an article on how to tie foam hoppers. Most all of the materials with the exception of the hook and thread can be purchased at craft stores. Have fun.

I fish quite a bit with a guy that ties a leech out of Crystal Chenille (I think that's the stuff) made by Hare Line and he absolutely pounds the fish. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and bought 4 different colors of something called Disco Yarn that ties up a pretty similar looking pattern. It runs about $4.00 a skein and I could probably supply half this forum with the leftovers. :D

Mike

I'm working on a website titled "Effective Flies tied from Craft Store Materials." It's at http://flylabook.tripod.com . I've been working on it only in my spare time (of which I've had nearly none this month) so many of the links aren't complete yet. The only rule for this site is that the flies will be tied completely from materials found at craft stores, the only exception being tying thread and head cement. I'll probably get the site completely functional just before Christmas. At the moment I'm so swamped at work it's ridiculous...

Mark Delaney