Fly Tying
CasualAngler

Damaged fly in the Box... what to do?

Came across a damaged fly in the box today. Don't know how he got so beat up; neighbors in the row, late night with those unruly Jerkbaits, whatever. Body wrap undone & garbled, threads everywhere.

Question is, does one just prepare a Burial detail, or does the fly go through Metamorphosis & become something new? (toss it, or strip the Hook & tie a new fly?)

Just curious...

Alan :)

If you have fished that fly a toothy predator probably busted a thread or two and it unraveled in the box.i agree, strip it re tie. It will never be the same to fix it up and not worth the pain in the butt, time etc..

I use just blades from the sheetrock knife, seem to last longer and rust less than razor blades and as a carpenter I've always had 50 or 100 handy. Sometimes strip a fly right after tying it, if I decide it looks wrong.

Yep, have had lots of practice cutting thread off of hooks this Week! :P

There was no way to rejuvenate the fly; much of it was mangled & missing.

I thought there might be some kind of solemn ritual to retire such a fly.

Guess it will be like a Borg drone, the Nomad probe, or a Cylon... re-integrated & reborn into something new.

Alan :o

Strip and check the hook.

The only ones I have ever thrown away are rusty bugs and some “armored” types built with superglue, epoxy, UV, etc

I use flies like that for backyard casting. normal flies get snagged in the grass on occasion, so I straighten out the hook and/or break the tip off. Works well after that. In fact I did just that two days ago fitting a new rod with the best matching line/reel.

Jeff

I use them first. I am convinced that fish sense a damaged insect or baitfish as an easy meal. A fly that looks "a little off" is just as likely to get eaten than a healthy one.

Perhaps it's not really damaged. Just squashed. Give it a hair do.

Use pliers to hold it in front of a steam plume, coming from a tea kettle perhaps.