Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

anybody tie flies using....

maybe when I was a kid, if you want some I think my dad has around 10 horses at his place so I could probably snag you a bit.

Several years ago, I got some Icelandic Pony Hair from one of the online shops, maybe Feathercraft, but I'm not sure.

I like how it looks for quill bodies, but it can be very brittle when wound tightly. I had some success soaking it in warm water, for a few minutes, before tying with it. I made some sulpher quills for the South Holston that worked pretty well.

I'll have to dig it out, and try a few more....

I actually got some horse mane to tie the Mackay Special but never got around to it. I bought some Mackay Specials to fish the Big Lost River near Mackay Idaho, and they were killers. Unfortunately, the owner of the ranch with private water sold the ranch so I have not been back.

Mackay+Special+Fish+Fly.jpg

Yes, we do. We use horse hair as a substitute for badger when tying Potts' flies. The fly was very popular in the 60s and 70s but has fallen out of favor in more recent years but that doesn't mean they won't catch fish because they do. They were developed by Franz Potts in the 50s (I think) from Missoula, Montana.Take care & ...

Yes, makes a nice ribbed body and can be quite translucent. I find it works better if wet as it can be brittle if it's sat in your desk a while