Fly Tying
DarrellP

most unrealistic fly that works

I have seen some crazy bass flies that work. What is the most unrealistic fly you used that caught fish? Please post photos. I will try to find mine and post.

Really more of a lure than a fly. Hadn't discovered fly fishing yet. I was 9 or 10 when I made it. Put it together, walked down to the pond and caught a nice bass on the second or third cast.

post-54336-0-18055000-1541340656_thumb.jpg

not really unrealistic but daiichi 1273 hooks alone do catch fish

Cmq3q81.jpg

The red hook works!

When I was a youngster the soda cans had the tab that would come off of the can. You would break the ring off and fold the tab on a hook. Take some pliers and give it a good squeeze.

We would fish it with a casting bubble on a spin cast outfit. The smallmouth couldn't leave it alone.

My brother once caught some smallmouth on green beans from the dinner table. Must have been because of the bacon mom always tossed in.

None of my flies are very realistic, but bare gold hook or pieces cut from a tobacco tin might be less realistic than my usual stuff. Anything I have made of foam is out there too.

beer can pull tab hook

beer-can-tab-fish-hook-495x660.jpg

beer can pull tab hook

beer-can-tab-fish-hook-495x660.jpg

Ive never seen a soda or beer can like that but yeah Ive done that.

It used to be a joke where I grew up and lived.

Fish were so stupid they would eat a pull tab

We would break off the finger part of it,take the pull tab poke a hole in it and put it through the bend of the hook....on a fly rod.

Fish on every every 6-10 casts

Cmq3q81.jpg

Couldn't agree more, I have caught more than a few trout on just a red hook below an indicator.

Spin fishing, I have used a mouse lure. I have seen pickerel take birds off lily pads. Ya never know what will attract a fish. This I have used with a spinning rod, to get a fly waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there. 8 parts dry playground sand mixed with 2 parts ammonium sulphate. Dampen until you can press it into a mold, and dry in the oven at low heat. Add a piece of hairpin to the wet mixture to attach the line. Has considerable weight. When it hits the water, it disintegrates & the piece of wire falls off; and leaves the fly. I usually have a piece of very light line a foot or two above the fly to attach the weight.

Cmq3q81.jpg

Couldn't agree more, I have caught more than a few trout on just a red hook below an indicator.

A piece of shoelace from my Converse All Stars hooked me three Chain Pickerel in one afternoon.

Cmq3q81.jpg

I've fished the exact hook on the San Juan to catch trout. They are used for red chironomid patterns.

The first time I fished the San Juan in the Texas Hole, I was fishing next to a Hispanic fly fisher with very basic tackle who was catching fish after fish. As he was leaving, I asked him what fly he was using. It was a piece of chamois tied to the hook with a simple overhand knot. The chamois was not even tied to the hook with tying thread.

It was a humbling experience.

The overhand knot imitated the clitellium of the aquatic worm, just like on front fly and the the aquatic worm below.

s-l1000.jpg

Oligochaeta02.jpg

Not exactly the most unrealistic... but all of our shark flies are tied up as bulky as possible -think six to seven inches overall with at least eight of the biggest, widest, "feather duster" cheap saddle hackles - and that's just to start with...

Here's the best part... you want the entire fly to be exactly the same color as that bright orange life preserver.... and NO you wouldn't even think about taking a swim where we fish (even if it's only four feet of water...). Yesterday with three anglers using spinning gear and live bait... our tarpon fishing was interrupted frequently by sharks of every size - the biggest looked to be around ten feet long... All of this in the dark waters along the gulf coast of the Everglades... where you just can't see them coming... Our one lady angler aboard (from Utah) did finally hook up with a medium sized tarpon - about 70lbs that we were able to leader and release - but for a while there I thought the sharks had won the day...

Here it is.. The Bloody Rooster.. we fish it with a 12 or 13wt (and I keep my fingers crossed that we've chummed up one under 100 lbs - the big ones are pretty much un-stoppable...). We-re drawing the critters to my 17' skiff with a few fish carcasses (always as fresh as possible - I like them kicking as I cut them...) then toss the fly at what shows up...

9nftk4W.jpg