Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Willy

GRHE vs Birds Nest vs all the other look likes

Ok so I was wondering, what do you guys use? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Birds Nest, Guides GRHE, Soft Hackles, March Brown Nymphs......

They all look similar, I have been trying out a few with no significantly different results. What have you decided on, why do you think it works for you?

If you could, let us know where you live. There is probably regional preferences.

Thanks

Billy

Ok so I was wondering, what do you guys use? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Birds Nest, Guides GRHE, Soft Hackles, March Brown Nymphs......

They all look similar, I have been trying out a few with no significantly different results. What have you decided on, why do you think it works for you?

If you could, let us know where you live. There is probably regional preferences.

Thanks

Billy

I like a lighter colored version of the hare's ear--sort of a tan/brown/yellow mix. I also like a black & white version because I think the color contrast is extremely visible. I live in Colorado, but I'v seen naturals in all kinds of colors.

However, I think nothing beats a good presentation!

I prefer the gold ribbed hares ear...maybe a small flashback thrown in. I have only tried the hares ear...march brown...march brown spider...and soft hackle. Imo...i like it best for its natural look and presentation. I live in long island NY, and rght now have really only been fishing that with great success.

Good luck...tight lines!

I don't fish for trout in my area, no trout streams but I've have great success with the Hares Ear, Possie bugger and Birds nest fishing for our local panfish & smallies. I recently found found a pattern called the "Double Standard" which looks like another great pattern to try out. I guess it really comes down to personal preference and most important ... what the fish like :) I've seen so many variations of the HE & PT nymphs which tells me these are just good all around patterns to have in the box.

Mike

......hare's ear WITH soft hackle! muhahaha, just kidding. Yea i throw some wispy soft hackle or CDC on my hare's ear and it makes it extra buggy and i feel like it works really well. read about it in a john gierach book and decided to try it.

The BIRD'S NEST pattern is somewhat different than the Hare;s ear, GHRE, or March Brown...a variation, developed for the Eastern Sierras, called the Assassin has become very effective on waters I regularly visit - see below and scroll down:

http://www.sierradrifters.com/fish.htm

The recipe for the Assassin may be located HERE:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/birdnest.htm

PT/TB ;)