Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Hooks and thoughts on them.

I used to bass fish alot and have even fished alot of tournaments and such. My number one hook was Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp hooks. They never failed me. When I bass fish I still use this hook.

I see that Eagle Claw makes fly hooks. These are more than likely what I will use for tying flies, but wanted thoughts on it first. I would like for folks that have used the Eagle Claw hooks to respond.

Are the Eagle Claw sizes pretty much the same as other hooks?

Is there anything else you would add that might be a factor?

Thank you,

Ronnie Ladd

I wouldn't limit myself to one particular brand of hooks to use, everyone has their favorite but other companys willt have styles of hooks eagle claw doesn't make. For example I am a big fan of Gamakatsu hooks, but they don't make all the sizes and styles of hooks I need right now so I use mostly Mustad hooks. Go ahead and experiment with several brnds of hooks. You might notice characteristics about one that will make you not buy any of a certain brand again, and you might find that some other brands will work just as well, if not better than the brand you like the most

Hi Ronnie,

I use a lot of Eagle claw hooks they are fine. Most of my fishing is salt water and I love the Eagle Claw Octopus circle hooks and the octopus hooks (the offset ones I bend straight) they are strong and have a wide gape and short shank.

For trout fishing where variety is more important, the sizes of hooks are pretty much standardized a 6 is a 6. Where you get a lot of variation is with the hook styles - and no brand has all the styles. To make it as simple as possible - hook company's vary the gape to shank ratio and also the wire thickness as well as some fancy shapes. All have a purpose, and you'll decide which ones matter to you.

The most important thing is to make sure the hooks you use are sharp - and some are sharper than others out of the box Eagle Claw is probably one of the duller hooks you can buy, but you can always sharpen them.

This may sound strange but I don't like the ultra sharp hooks because they are too effective by themselves and therefore diminish the role of skill in your success. Its not that I can't afford the expensive hooks, rather I choose to explicitly ensure that the hook point is sharp. If I do a bad job honing the point then its something I must improve on. I consider it part of making a fly.

Similarly, if I fail to get a good hook set and loose the fish then I had too much slack line, or I wasn't paying attention or something else. I sometimes cast out and then get a fish while lighting a cigarette. In those situations I don't deserve to catch that fish.

I like the classic Mustads because they don't break or bend and can be had at a low price. Everything else is up to me.

Oh btw, I use the Eagle Claw 630 jig hooks and wide gaps. Most need honing and are a bit softer than the Musttads.

Check different manufacturers' catalogs for comparison or search online for size comparisons. Eagle Claw makes a fine hook but so do Targus and Daiichi and Gamakatsu, Mustad, etc. No one hook manufacturer will have all you'll need and each manufacturer tailors their hook line(s) to their own specs, sizes, shapes, finishes, etc., assuming there are some matches or close approximations in every maker's line.

Some makers' streamer hooks are wiry and bend easily. Mustad 3407 and 34007 hooks generally need to be touched up (sharpened) right out of the box. They aren't blunt but they do need to be touched up. Whatever. You get the idea.

Weigh in here for Q&A before you go spending on a hook you might not need to use. Check to see what's available in your area and compare hook to hook. Make sure it suits what you think you want to do. Then if you want to, come back over here and ask for more input.