Fly Tying
Fry Flier

To cement or not to cement, that is the question?

Sorry if the question has been asked before but unable to find id search database.

Head cement on smaller dry flies? yes use or no do not use.

Tying some #18 -22 dry patterns and recipe does not say anything about cementing the thread heads. is this a giving that you would almost always cement heads or is it just that the cement will sink these smaller flies?

:dunno:

Thanks in advance Fry Flier

hmmm....good question.

In my experience most dressings don't really call for head cement. It pretty much goes without saying. even though the head on a #22 is very small head cement should still be applied to the head to secure and seal the thread wraps.It can be very tricky when applying, but you can always clear a cement covered eye and hold back any hackle while applying the cement.

I always coat my flies, no matter how big or small they are. I even apply cement to things such as the tie in point for tails, tinsel bodies, underwings, wing posts, etc. I want my flies to be as durable as possible.

Thanks CapeBSalar my concern was the wieght even though only a drop of the cement and the sinking of a fly.

That is realy up to you some people say that cement on a dry will add extra weight. I no longer put it on dry flys.

Fry flier i rarely use head cement on my flies any more. I just do not see any diferance when i do. Just one more step to omit when you are tying. Also i do not get any more closed eyes. Chuck

Thanks Joe Hard and Chucke I sounds to me like a preferance thing, no I need to seek out my preferance.

I used to add a drop to every whip finish knot when I first started, then I wanted to test a patern out on some gills, was in a hurry and didn't add any. I caught about 40 that day on that particular pattern and it was still in one piece so ever since then the only time I will add anything like that is, I might coat the thread wraps with sally hansens to add some shine on some flys, or flys that will be intended for toothy species, such as pike

thats kind of a personal "technigue" I guess you could say. You could just take the extra five seconds to do a few more knots ( whip finish or half hithces) and not need cement. If you have problems with your flies coming apart, then you should cement. BTW, dont think you have to follow these patterns exactly by the book :thumbsup:

I am going to forfiet the cement on the dries for now since it can always be done later. Thanks for the info OLB steeldrifter and JarrodRuggles.

"BTW, dont think you have to follow these patterns exactly by the book"

I start with a recipe read it over and that is when my mind takes over. Try to tie one same as recipe then bam off to the free form. :rolleyes:

Basics and recipes are a good thing that should be tried and tied just to see how we are stacking up. Interested in a lot of the older patterns for looks and to see what the tiers past where thinking at the time.

There is something that I have learned from this site, that has come from all the great "MASTER" tyers is there are no rules especialy if you are tying a fly for yourself. There is something elese that I have learned about flies is: how long do you expect a fly to last? I can asure you if you fish with your own flies you will lose your best tied fly somehow. The more you tie the better your flies will become

I have not tied any dries so I might be out of line here, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

I don't cement while fly tying. I don't feel that it is needed. I have never had one unravel. I either loose them or catch enough fish off of them that it is no concern since it has done it's job. If they get ragged enough after fishing I cut everything off of the hook and retye the fly.

It's like anything else. It's all personal preference. Neither way is wrong.

Thanks for all the input, it was a thing that I was unclear about and was not sure if I missed the boat that said you need to cement all flies or you are doomed..lol