Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

New addition to the tying desk

Last year about this time, I built this little set of shelves to organize some of the clutter on my tying desk.

post-36073-0-29790600-1489375654_thumb.jpg

After using it over the past year, I decided that there was a lot of space that still wasn't being very well utilized, so I decided to add some drawers. I just used scrap wood that I already had accumulated from other projects. This was the result.

post-36073-0-99186600-1489374437_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-30267100-1489374447_thumb.jpg

Not perfect, but not a trainwreck either. smile.png Certainly usable -- the drawers certainly hold way more stuff than the open "cubbies" did, and I like having the materials hidden from view as well. I think I will eventually turn the open spaces on the top into covered drawers as well, but that will probably have to wait til next winter, as spring and fishing are around the corner now.

Cheers,

Bryon

Very nice. Couldn't help but notice your radio/cd player. I've got one just like it in my tying area.

Looks really good Bryon I like it a lot. Like the map as well, I'm a sucker for the old world look maps that color. No fishing room is complete without a old map or old floor stand globe in it IMO smile.png

Thanks for the idea Steve! I have a very old large map of our arcapelago i bought off a workmate couple of years ago! Even shows water depths!

Very nice. Couldn't help but notice your radio/cd player. I've got one just like it in my tying area.

Thanks Dave! I love that little radio. Part of the reason I chose it was that it actually has a cassette player, as well--has to be one of the last functioning ones in the country, lol :)

You're disgustingly organized. smile.png

Haha! Not at all, I assure you! Oh, how my wife will laugh when she reads that... :-D The picture on the top was taken on New Year's Eve 2015; the two on the bottom were taken last night. In between those two dates, I'm sure there weren't two days when my desk looked like it does in those pictures. :)

Looks really good Bryon I like it a lot. Like the map as well, I'm a sucker for the old world look maps that color. No fishing room is complete without a old map or old floor stand globe in it IMO smile.png

Thanks Steve! I love those old maps, too. Actually, I have a great fondness for maps of all kinds--I was just talking to some friends as we were driving home from the Midwest Fly Expo on Sunday about how dependent we've become on GPS, and we all agreed we missed navigating with "real" maps. The old-style one in the photo is one of two in my tying room; the other is a Robinson Projection satellite image. I got them both at a Rand-McNally store in St. Louis, MO when I was a pup in my twenties. They lived for years rolled up in tubes until I could afford to have them decently mounted and framed--one of the rare instances in my life in which I actually practiced delayed gratification. :)