Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyerinpa

Hook Sizes XXX

What are the X's actually mean in hook sizes ? For example a size 12 hook does 1X Short mean the gap of that hook is size 12 but the length is the length of a size 14, and so on and so on hook size 12- 2XShort gap of size 12 but length would be size 16 ???

This doesn't even get to the "Wet Fly" vs "Dry Fly" hooks. This must be something that is so universally understood that it does not seem to be documented anywhere. I was into fly tying for a year or two before I knew the difference, which is basically wet fly hooks are generally heavier wire. Try and find a website or fly fishing book that explains it that simply, I had a facepalm moment when I finally figured that out.

What are the X's actually mean in hook sizes ? For example a size 12 hook does 1X Short mean the gap of that hook is size 12 but the length is the length of a size 14, and so on and so on hook size 12- 2XShort gap of size 12 but length would be size 16 ???

Odd numbered hook sizes exist, even if they are not sold in a particular style. A size 12 1X short should have the same shank length as a standard size 13. A size 12 2X short should have the same shank length as a standard size 14. But manufacturers will do whatever they want.

I want to think everybody that replied, after spending today trying to figure it out I've come to the conclusion one would have to stick with one brand of hook like Daiichi, Tiemco, Mustad, Fly Shack or what ever brand you prefer, in order to make any kind of sense of it. Today I looked at chart after chart even they don't agree one chart said Temco 921 is a 1X short hook, another chart said Temco 921 was a 2Xshort hook. So in order to keep me from going batty I'm just going to use what ever size looks good to me I'm not going to worry weather its a Std. length, a 1,2,3 X long or a 1,2,3, short as long as it looks good to me.

I know from past topics there are some dyed in the wool fans of certain brands of hooks, me personally I'll try any hook if I like them I don't care what the name is or where they are made at, but I have been wondering how many hooks does every body have on hand ???

Most of my hooks are from Walmart. I do have some curved scud hooks.

If I took all the hooks I have, together, they'd fill a pill bottle, maybe.

What is really stupid is when a hook is labelled both short shank and wide gape! It means that there is no measurable dimension on the hook that relates to the stated size.

If I took all the hooks I have, together, they'd fill a pill bottle, maybe.

I wish my stock was so simple Mike. It doesn't matter what I have in stock, someone always wants flies on hooks I don't have. A few years ago I sorted the most used hooks into a couple of compartment boxes. Not wanting to split stock into several locations I put all of each size into the boxes. The next time I went to a show I just grabbed the boxes. Then realised I had somewhere between 12 000 and 20 000 hooks with me. Those boxes are never placed down on the table. I keep them in my kit, only taking them out to get a hook, and putting them away where they are not in reach for someone who thinks I should "donate" them!

Cheers,

C.

What is really stupid is when a hook is labelled both short shank and wide gape! It means that there is no measurable dimension on the hook that relates to the stated size.

Cheers,

C.

...but I love the 2x short 2x wide in smaller hooks! :) A size 20 body with a size 16 gape makes a very effective size 18 fly.... OK, it doesn't make sense, but it works very well.

How many hooks? Remember, I only tie for myself, ... but I have thousands! I tend to buy 100 packs of each size and style. It doesn't take long to by ten packs of hooks, and still need a lot more. There are a fair number of specialty hooks in the mix, and some I wonder why I bought, but a good many, if not the majority, are sizes and styles I use on a regular basis.

What do I do with all of them? Well, obviously, I donate a fair number to the fish and the streams, and a few more to the trees, but mostly, I give away flies to friends and strangers.

phg, who makes a 2X short 2X wide hook don't think I've ever heard of that size.

For hooks that you wonder why you bought you could give them to TU I cant speak for all TU chapters but our chapter teaches fly tying 100% free so any donations are welcomed, and some of the members that can afford it occasionally will but something for the cause.

Wouldn't it just be easier to call it a 4X short size 16? At least then you can tell what it is by comparing the gap.

Cheers,

C.

I tend to use standard hook sizes, if there is such a thing. I don't have many hooks with X values for other than streamers. The longest are some 10X long that I want to try some Carrie Stevens streamers on

Since brands were mentioned what I have are Daiichi, Dai-Riki, Mustad, Mustad Signature, Partridge, Orvis, Tiemco, Allen, Eagle Claw, plus a few others I am sure I forgot.

phg, who makes a 2X short 2X wide hook don't think I've ever heard of that size.

For hooks that you wonder why you bought you could give them to TU I cant speak for all TU chapters but our chapter teaches fly tying 100% free so any donations are welcomed, and some of the members that can afford it occasionally will but something for the cause.

TMC 2457 - Caddis Pupae & Shrimp, Down Eye, 2X Heavy, 2X Wide, 2X Short, Forged, Bronze

PT/TB

I use the TMC 2488 for a lot of my smaller flies, midges, emergers and caddis. It's a straight eye, light wire hook. It's listed as 3X wide and 2X short. Out of curiosity one day I laid a size 22 TMC 101, shank to shank with a size 18 2488 and the shank lengths were the same. Not sure where I brought them, maybe from a catalog but I have some size 1, 10XL. The hook itself is 4 inches long. I think I was going to tie some monster woolly buggers on them. I think once you get into the 4XL to 6XL range your better off going to a tube fly or one tied on articulated shanks, because the length of the hook gives the fish, particularly one that jumps during the fight too much leverage.