Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhr163

Hook for MFC Crabby Patty

So I did some of these using what I had on hand...Gamakatsu SC15, which has a "wide gape" but was the right shank length for the small size legs and back. Would like to do some more but with a hook that has less gape, but similar or just very slightly longer shank length. Any recommendations on manuf./model/size that will fill the bill?

You didn't say what size hook you're using - if it's a #2 or smaller then you'd probably like the Tiemco 800s... It's very strong, razor sharp, and has roughly the same shank length but with a smaller gape.

Thanks gents! I was using a 1/0. Have used the 800S Tiemco and it is a great hook! Will probably order in that stinger hook as well.

Unfortunately Tiemco no longer makes anything larger than a #2 in the 800s.... I say unfortunately since I used to tie all of my tarpon flies in the late eighties with boxes and boxes of 1/0 to 4/0 Tiemcos.... These days all have been replaced by Owner Akis (and that's another pretty good option for you to consider. Here's a pic of a few of them being readied for a shop....

post-30940-0-71061200-1396218420_thumb.jpg