Fly Tying
FarmChic

Your Reviews for the Danvice

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900805-0000/85100/Danica-Danvise.html

Is this a good vise to get started with?

Thanks!

I'd wait for other folks with more vice experience than I to respond, but I just got one and I love it. That said, I'm a cheapskate and I tied with a Thompson A vice for ... 15 or so years. Here is a set of reviews on vices: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/so_many_vises_$50-$100.htm

I guess what I'm not sure about is if a beginner should start on a rotary. but like i said, I'll let others comment on that.

Right - I remember the guy who sold me the danvice made a point of having me watch the DVD that came with it - keeping the jaws from flaring is dependent on proper adjustment of the jaws before cranking them down. Especially if you are doing stuff like saltwater flies.

I bought a Davvise a few months ago intending to use it only for travel. I have not tied on anything else since I set it up. For the money, it is a very good vice. As mentioned above, setting the vise for the hook is critical because you can damage the jaws, but that is not really a problem. I've tied down to a #26 with no issue. In my opinion it is a great starter vise.

I guess what I'm not sure about is if a beginner should start on a rotary.

Why? A person doesn't have to do anything "rotary" with it if they don't want.

As mentioned above, setting the vise for the hook is critical because you can damage the jaws

That's true of ANY vise.

I guess what I'm not sure about is if a beginner should start on a rotary.

Why? A person doesn't have to do anything "rotary" with it if they don't want.

As mentioned above, setting the vise for the hook is critical because you can damage the jaws

That's true of ANY vise.

This is true. The makers of the Danvise claim the amount of pressure applied when the cam of

the Danvise is put into place is well in excess of that for other cam vises and is why the issue is

stressed for it.

I've had mine for over 4 years now and I love it. My jaws have flared a bit but as others have said that's my fault. I tie for the salt,mostly size 2-1/0 but I also tie bucktail jigs on up to 1 oz lead heads with 6/0 hooks. This may explain the flaring but so fa it hasn't bothered the holding power of the jaws for what I do

I have 2 vises. A Danvise and Vise Grips. Any vise is a good vise to start on. Even Vise grips. I have used Vise Grips for years and they hold large hooks very well.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900805-0000/85100/Danica-Danvise.html

Is this a good vise to get started with?

Thanks!

Here's a review published by Hans Weilenmann.

This part metal, part Delrin vise has proven reliable and durable. It has some impressive features: true-rotary cam operated design, quality steel jaws capable of securely holding hooks from #2/0 down to the smallest the tier can handle, optional saltwater jaws for hooks up to #9/0 ($32), rear handle crank, and a flexible C-clamp that can handle tabletops up to 61/2".

While the Dan-vise is compact, the Delrin components are somewhat bulky. The crank rotates the jaws smoothly but is noisy. The stem has a diameter of 10 mm.

erdict. The Dan-vise is a terrific value and a very sound tying tool. A vise mostly made out of Delrin may put some tiers off, but it is the vise to beat in the sub-$100 class. HW

DanVise ? I don't like the look,especially the clamp.it look big and cheap plastic.

sorry guys, that is IMHO

We have one commercial tyer on the forum who has used nothing but a Danvise to tie thousands of flies on. And we have another who has something like 5 of them he teaches tying classes on. I think those are quite the testimonies for the Danvise, even though I don't own one myself. And that Stockard 20% off right now gets the price down very well. Really the only thing in a full rotary or so called "true rotary" in it's price range is the Griffin Odyssey series vises and at that the Odyssey Cam might be more expensive right now.. But hey we have our share of Odyssey users around the forum as well ! At sub $100, you take your pick, not a lot to choose from in true rotary but those are two good ones.

On another note, right now you can buy the Danvice with optional extension arm ( for those who don't like the tight quarters around the head) for $99. That gives you the $35 extension piece and vise for $99. This combo would normally cost in the $140 range or so. Just another option for those interested ( i probably would be if I were buying one).