Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Gossamer Silk and Matarelli bobbin

Hello everybody... I'm going to start tying some soft hackle flies (flys?) and see that they are asking for Gossamer Silk thread.

First question: why use Gossamer silk thread?

Second question: I see that most of the tyers use a Matarelli bobbin, which I am unable to find; is it still made? Is there another bobbin that will work as well?

Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread has been around a long time and I guess has become a standard for traditional wet flies. Many patterns will specify the use of Gossamer thread and its colour (or number) although you could easily substitute another brand of silk or a synthetic. (It has a diameter similar to 6/0 Uni thread.) As you can see in the photo the spools are smaller than regular thread and you need a small bobbin to accomodate it.

post-12311-0-42017100-1475774609_thumb.jpg

Original Frank Matarelli Bobbins are no longer made. However, knockoff are available. I have real Matarellis and in my opinion, the kno k offs are not as nice but they are functional.

Gossamer silk has a translucent appearance that other tying thread do not have,.

This is what Matarelli style whip finishers looks like

P7151359.jpg

MatarelliWhipFinisherDirections_zps6043d

Sadly Matarelli tools are no longer made. You might be able to find used ones. There are many substitutes. I prefer a bobbin with a full ceramic tube, as opposed to ceramic inserts in each end. I like the Tiemco ceramic bobbin.

Original Matarelli Bobbins are no longer made. However, knockoff are available. I have real Matarellis and in my opinion, the kno k offs are not as nice but they are functional. This is what they look like,

rotary-whip-finisher-matarelli.jpg

Funny looking bobbin. ;)

Hello everybody... I'm going to start tying some soft hackle flies (flys?) and see that they are asking for Gossamer Silk thread.

First question: why use Gossamer silk thread?

Second question: I see that most of the tyers use a Matarelli bobbin, which I am unable to find; is it still made? Is there another bobbin that will work as well?

If you're just tying to catch fish and just learning how to tie soft hackles, I would just use what thread you have in the color you like. I mostly use Danville flat waxed nylon.

If you are interested in tying the original historic patterns then you will need the right materials. That is the case with anything like that. However if you just want to try this style of flies then go ahead and use what you have.

Some years ago I came across three spools of Pearsall's Gossamer No. 6b, the original silk for the Orange Partridge, One spool went to Oliver Edwards, one I sold on, the third I am still using, and yes it is on a Mattarelli bobbin.Now Pearsalls have started producing the shade again. I did get a good price for the spool I sold.Though not 477 prices. The last place I saw one for sale was Wharfdale Angling Classics, but beware it was priced at £35 (About $50). He might have some left.

Cheers,

C.

FishingGuy: that is what I needed to know. I have over 40 spools of thread, different manufacturers and colors. The last thing I needed to buy was more thread at $5+ a pop!

Thank all of you for your input; very enlightening. (Love this forum!)

All you need is a cheap bobbin with a ceramic insert or you can buy a 100 dollar bobbin or you can use anything in between. I pay 6 bucks for cheap Terra bobbins. I use cheap Terra whip finishers as well. They all work none better then the other. In bait fishing we call a whip finish a snell knot. In fly tying the lowly snell knot has been transformed into the whip finish that can only be done with a whip finishing tool made with surgical precision.

What these tools do is so non complex and simplistic that it's hard to say if any are better then the next. Anyone who tells you what most tyers use or you need this specific tool is full of crap and I wouldn't listen to a thing they say. it's all preference, I prefer a dozen preloaded bobbins at the ready over two wizbang bobbins. Others like two wizbangers over a dozen cheapos. Same with thread, it's all preference. Fly tying is not mystical nor difficult. Don't wrap yourself around the axle thinking it's highly complex requiring very specific precision Swiss tools that a watchmaker would envy.

Gossamer silk has a translucent appearance that other tying thread do not have,.

All silk threads have a translucent appearance when wet. It doesn't have to be Pearsall's. YLI has a broad range of colors, and Orvis sells something called "Nano".

Try Feather Craft. You either need a narrow bobbin or inserts on each side of the narrow spool. I saw a guy cut down a regular spool and make it work with a Pearsals spool, by gluing a piece on each side. If you want tradition, go with silk. Any thread will work to make soft hackles that work, however. .

I bet with a couple of pairs of pliers, I or anyone else, could re bend the arms on a standard framed bobbin/ thread spool holder and make it work on those half sized spools. You might have to get a little imaginative as to how the bends should go but I suspect it would end up working fine. But I don't use silk in my soft hackles , I mostly use floss actually.

You could buy the automatic bobbin designed for the Norvise. You have to load it anyway so spool size doesn't matter.

simply insert a short piece of dowel inside 2 spools of thread and insert them into the bobbin holder of your choice or the one you currently have on hand

disregard the bobbin holder in the following photo. its the 2 spools that are of concern

bobbin_zps4kt6a2fu.jpg

or

respool the thread onto this and insert into your current bobbin holder

rio_cnf_61635_3_in_1_bobbin_kit.jpg

or

buy a wasatch bobbin holder and be done with it

EvoMagento-107858_1.jpg