Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ron J

Does Thread Go Bad

Greetings,

I obtained some old fly tying materials including a variety of thread. The paper tags on the ends of a lot of the spools are missing so I don't know the weight of the thread for some of them. Some seem a little dusty. My main concern is that some of the thread breaks pretty easily if you pull on it. I have tried comparing it to some other 3/0 and 6/0 thread that I have and is seems to break easier then it does. Can thread go bad if it is old? Can it loose it strength, or could this be thinner 8/0 thread.

Thanks

Ron

I see this was only your 3rd post. I don't want to insult anyone, but are you a new tier or just new to the forum? Thread will weaken over decades, but has said earlier try it before tossing it.

It may be breaking because it's a smaller thread than even 8/0. Could be your bobbin holder. Or just becasue it's old.

If you are new to tying, a lot has to do with knowing your threads. Even degraded thread can be used in many flies if you get a feel for the breaking point. If it is breaking inconsistently, either the thread is really gone or, as said before, the bobbin holder may be the culprit. I have thread that is over a decade old and still works fine.

Hi Ron,

If the thread has really degraded over time, it should start fraying as well as being much weaker than it was when it was new. Try pulling several yards off of each suspect spool and then try it again when you get to an underlying layer. If the thread is really shot, it will probably be every bit as weak as the outer layer was. I wouldn't waste much time with old thread if it gave me problems. We live in the best of times for stuff like this. You could never find thread in such small diameter sizes with really good Tensile strength 30 or 40 years ago.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Group,

Yes, spools of thread will dry rot over time or be damaged by continued exposure to the sun. If you find the thread breaking too easy and suspect it is "rotten" then before throwing the spool away, strip off a few layers and see if the thread is good under-the-bad. Take care & ...

It sounds like not so much of degrading over time but what care was taken during the lifetime of the thread. I also tend to do the same as Al mentions with stripping off a layer or two of thread to see if its just a damaged top layer. That being said, I have decades of production tying under my belt with thread that was purchased before I started in the family business. I know how this thread was stored, no damage (water, temp, etc...), and have become familiar with the same brand, size, & color in the last 30+ years. The thread in my inventory has maintained its quality, sometimes I find a deal on similar old stock at shows or online and have found some old thread (same brand & age) isn't so good.