Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Vice problems

At first I though this was a confessional... vices?

Anyway.

Does the Barracuda have just one size jaws? If there is a small size use it just for your small hooks and there should be no trouble.

If you try to use a one size jaw for all hooks, using the large size hooks a lot can reduce the camming/holding grip on small hooks, depending on how it locks up -- by lever or turning a knob. The latter is more vulnerable to going soft on small hooks.but I have levers that are no longer reliable on small hooks too .

Under high pressure, the pivot point where all the pressure comes to bear either wears or loses some of its tensile strength.

Rocco

Wear on the jaws should be easily visible. More likely (I think) is an adjustment; see for parts reference- https://www.dyna-king.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BARRACUDA-BJR-DIAGRAM.pdf

instruction; https://www.dyna-king.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ADJ.-INST..pdf

Resources; https://www.dyna-king.com/resources-support/\

If adjustment doesn't help, examine the parts that open and close the jaws for damage; forcing cone, cam handle and cam pin being most likely in my mind.

Usually adjustment, check the forcing cone for small cracks. Have never seen jaws bent but it may be possible with large hooks not adjusted properly? They are a great company contact them.

Just had another thought, try cleaning the grip surfaces of the jaws; I'd use alcohol or acetone. Some hooks seem to have a varnish that might transfer to the vise.

if you are putting to much tension (big hooks) on the jaws you could possibly bend the jaws slightly and then will have problems holding small hooks. to many people put to much tension on hooks.

Dyna-King has great service, and parts available. Call them, I did and got a new collet, which was damaged by the previous owner. I didn't have to send the old one in, or show receipt. Sent me a new one in a couple of days. The Dyna-Kings have a notched lever, and the collet needs to be adjusted so that the notch locks into place. Forcing the lever can damage either the adjusting collet, or the jaws.

Absolutely. A common problem for all vises if you tie enough. Took me quite a while to wear out a pair of jaws on a Renzetti Traveler for example, but I know commercial tiers who go through jaws much more quickly.

The Dyna-Kings are no different, but as others have pointed out, the company has excellent customer service. I believe they can recondition the jaws for a modest fee that they may well waive, and you can always replace the jaws if necessary. If you spend a lot of time switching between saltwater and trout flies, you may want to just invest in the midge jaws.

Kevin, adjust your jaws so they just touch when you tighten the cam. Even better tighten the cam and then turn the collet if you can to do the same thing. Rotate the jaws so you can see any gaps or uneven areas between them, a light source behind the jaws can help here. You can also apply some marker inside the jaws and then tighten the jaws while pulling some paper through them to see where the marker disappears first. The jaws should be close to parallel or any gap should be a taper from the front to the the back of the jaws. It the jaws are sprung you will see a gap at the tip of the jaws (right where you clamp small hooks). Tighten the collet a bit more and see if that opens the tips up don't use more pressure than you would use clamping a hook or you could cause damage. If you see light in areas other that where the built in grooves for larger hooks are then you probably have worn those areas. You could try to hone the jaws, but honestly I'd send the whole thing in to be serviced at that point. If you have worn out the jaws, it's probably about time anyway. At the very least I would send in the jaws or buy a new set if you don't want to send the whole vice. Or just call Dyna-King to start with! BTW, I use a Barracuda as well and I love mine. It's a tank!

Oh, don't pitch the old jaws, keep them for the hooks that don't slip and change to the new ones for the tiny stuff.