Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

13 YO Breaks 42 year Utah Golden Trout Record

Marsh Lake has not been stocked with Golden Trout for years. They were probably stocked decades ago by horseback. They grow very slow since the season is short.

Golden trout in Utah are not native but they are "wild."

Here's the stocking record for Utah that goes back for decades.

http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/dwr/2016fishstockingreport.php

It would be pretty tought to break a record where I live.

The world record grayling was broken just a few years ago, guided by a friend of mine.

There are tippet class records for all kinds of fish that are obtainable.

Someone will catch a thirty inch rainbow in quartz lake this year. That in itself would be a record. Why can't it be you.

The current world record halibut was caught by a guy who lives not far from you.

Last I saw, there were 28 new world records applied for this year to the IGFA. Records are there to be broken. You're a young guy. What could be more fun than to challenge yourself to break a couple of records in your lifetime.

I agree, it's pretty tough to break a record where you live. instead, try challenging yourself to finding a cure for cancer or autism or becoming president. Think big. It's a big bold world and its waiting for you to leave your mark on it. If all else fails you can always fall back to breaking a fish record, for whatever that's worth.

I wonder if the lad utilized all the trout bum tenants for catching trout. Like crawling up to the bank so as not to spook them, referring to bugs by their Latin names, taking the water temperature, dip netting insects to properly match the hatch, only presenting dry flies to risers and wearing subdued clothing to blend into the area. Well he was blending in. Do you think he was dunking powerbait? Nah, no way, everybody knows this don't work on big wily trout.

Great for him. Stocked or not still an accomplishment. As mentioned, stocking would have been long time ago so this probably isn't a "hatchery" trout.

It would be pretty tought to break a record where I live.

The world record for grayling is 5 pounds 15 oz. you would have a tough time braking that record but, the 4 lb. line class record is only 2lb. 8oz., you could probably brake that record in the Clearwater. The 12, 16, and 20lb line classes for grayling are currently vacant so you could set the record for those easily.

For halibut the current world record for the 2 lb line class is only 11 pounds, that shouldn't be too hard to break. In the junior class for halibut the record is only 124 lb's. You've got till you turn seventeen to break that.

So there you go, you could have your name in the record books.