Fly Tying
quillknot

THROAT OR COLLAR

WHEN TYING WET FLIES ,DOES IT MATTER IF YOU USE A COLLAR HACKLE INSTEAD OF THE TRADITIONAL THROAT HACKLE..... I.E WHEN TYING (BUTCHER OR GREENWELL GLORY )........

JIM.....

In my opinion if you are just fishing the fly it doesn't matter at all. But if you are tying a fly for display I would try to keep it true to the original pattern.

My prefered method for making a "throat" is to first wrap a collar. Then to pull the fibers down and place a few turns of thread over the top to hold them down. The method depends on the availability of appropriately sized hackle (and is especially suitable for hen hackle.)

MY USUAL METHOD OF CREATING A THROAT HACKLE IS STRIPPING A FEW FIBRES OFF THE HACKLE , BUNCH THEM TOGETHER AND TIE IN .......

I HAVE ON OCCASION TRIED THE ( DE FEO ) METHOD

THAT IS CUTTING OUT THE MIDDLE SECTION OUT OF THE HACKLE AND TYING IN THE WHOLE HACKLE AS A THROAT HACKLE WITH UNSATISFACTORY RESULTS MAY I ADD

I WONDER HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS AND GALLS TIE IN THE THROAT HACKLE WITHOUT TURNING THE FLY UPSIDE DOWN......

Not me. I like to see what I'm doing. When I do tye a throat I turn the hook upside down and (on salmon flies and large wets) usually tye in three clumps: one along the bottom and one on each side.

A collar on a wet fly is the method used with English & Irish style wet flies. A bunch of hackle tied under the shank is the method used on the Bergman & DeFeo style of wets. I use both ways for fishing, but I haven't noticed if one is more effective than the other.

If you're tying display flies, tie them as they are traditionally tied.

The way I have always understood is that, a collar goes all the way around the hook, and a throat is on the bottom. Making them are the same, but after you wrap the throat strip the hackle fibers off the top. Again this just is how I understand it.

Is this the concensus? Wrapping a full collar and 'plucking' the tops leaving just the throat?

I'm struggling to get a nice looking throat.

Although I agree that you should stick to the pattern for show flies, for "fishing flies", do what you want. There are no wet fly police. And I have never heard a trout say he wasn't going to eat a fly because he prefers collars to throats. When the throat is red or orange, I think of it as gills and prefer a throat to a collar. If the intent is more for shape, legs, or general motion and bugginess, I prefer a collar.

For a nice throat, strip the barbules with tips aligned, trim to length, and tie them in below the shank. Another method with a more sparse appearance is to wrap a wet style collar, pull the hackles down and back, and use thread and/or dubbing to secure the fibers downward.

Is this the concensus? Wrapping a full collar and 'plucking' the tops leaving just the throat?

i dont think its a concensus but it is just one way out of many ways to achieve throat hackle