Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bd108

polar fiber vs EP fiber?

Im wanting to tie a fly that requires Polar Fiber but I only have EP fiber. Are they the same or similar?

Appreciate the help.

Polar Fiber or Polar Fibre I think the spelling may be, and similar to a craft fur and no longer than about 3 1/2". EP fiber is a longer material and not the same type of material as Polar Fiber IMO.

The Fly Tyers Dungeon has a material called Congo Hair that is similar to EP Fibers but unless you try either, you're not going to know if it makes a suitable alternative.

I haven't used EP fibers much, but to me it's a stiffer material than Polar Fiber.

I don't use EP Fibers, it's a stiffer material than Polar Fibre(yep, that's how they spell it). Don't even use Polar Fibre anymore. Actually too soft for the bait fish patterns. For small patterns, 1-3 inches, I use either Mirror Image or Senyo Lazer Dub. You can certainly try and tie the pattern with the EP Fibers and see how it turns out.

EP is quite a bit different than Polar Fibre. Craft fur is more similar but still quite a bit different as well, as it is more stiff and bristly then polar fibre, which is incredibly soft. It depends on how the material is being used. If it is just for a tail, then using EP or craft fur probably won't greatly change the pattern. On the other hand, tying a polar fiber minnow, which is really just stacked clumps of polar fiber high tied, will yield pretty different results using craft fur or EP. What is the pattern?

i have some of both but generally I'm not a fan of either for flowing baitfish patterns. What is the pattern your looking to tie?