Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
newbie@this

Grand Lake, CO

I'm going to Grand Lake in August and was wondering if anyone has fished it and what flies work best. I'll be fishing from shore. Needless to say, I also have Rocky Mtn National Park to fish as well as the Colorado River plus Shadow Mtn Lake and Lake Granby. This is bucket list stuff. Been going to CO for years but never had the opportunity to fish there.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Are you staying (in/around Grand Lake the town? What are you looking to catch? Fly fishing only? How long will you have? How far are you willing to drive? How far are you willing to walk or hike? Are you in shape? Are you coming from low elevation? Just trying to get info to help you with.

There are a lot of places to fish in Colorado but it really comes down to your preferences.

Hi Phil. We'll be out there for about 5 days. I plan on fishing one or two days, pretty much to legally wet a line. We'll be staying at M & M Lodge at Grand Lake. I'll be fly fishing only but my son will be spin fishing. I'm interested in catching whatever will bite, so I'm pretty open there. As I said, we've been to CO numerous times. My wife's uncle used to own a summer home on Columbine Lake, near Grand Lake. I may drive to Hot Sulfur Springs and hit the CO river at the end of the canyon. If there is only trout, I would probably target browns and brooks.

As for being in shape, I had a heart attack 5 years ago. I know I have to take it easy and not overly exert. Coming from Kansas City.

Thanks Phil!

Been to the fly shop in Estes Park about 5 years ago. Nice place. Got some info on packages. a little pricey, but it IS a tourist spot. This year I'm trying to keep it on the Grand Lake side. Possibly next time it will be Estes Park or maybe the Gunnison area.

Hi Phil. We'll be out there for about 5 days. I plan on fishing one or two days, pretty much to legally wet a line. We'll be staying at M & M Lodge at Grand Lake. I'll be fly fishing only but my son will be spin fishing. I'm interested in catching whatever will bite, so I'm pretty open there. As I said, we've been to CO numerous times. My wife's uncle used to own a summer home on Columbine Lake, near Grand Lake. I may drive to Hot Sulfur Springs and hit the CO river at the end of the canyon. If there is only trout, I would probably target browns and brooks.

As for being in shape, I had a heart attack 5 years ago. I know I have to take it easy and not overly exert. Coming from Kansas City.

Thanks Phil!

Go to Hot sulphur Springs. Bring hoppers, in size 14, caddis 16's and pmd's 18s. Forget the brookies. You should be in browns and 'bows all day.

Go around the south end of Grand Lake to the Monarch Lake parking. You can spin fish (or fly fish) Monarch or fish the small stream below the spillway of Monarch. Stream is small enough that you can fish the whole stream from shore. Spillway and stream are a short walk from parking lot.

My bad newbie@this :::: I should have said Lake Granby instead of Grand Lake. You can also fish the headwaters of the Colorado River just above Grand Lake.

Looks like the other posters covered it, the public access areas are well known and generally very well marked. Also, if there isn't a fly shop in Granby there is a tackle shop there that should be able to provide some current lake and river information as well.

Given the low flows this year I would not plan on fishing the Colorado in RMNP. It's a smaller stream/creek and my guess is that by August it will be a trickle with stressed, spooky fish. Lower down should be a lot better, as Sandan said hot sulfur springs or below.

The good thing about that area is you have options. The lakes hold plenty of fish, generally they are bigger than in the streams, and if you catch a good hatch can be a blast, but if you are set on river/stream fishing then the middle Colorado river would be a good place to check out.

Guided trips are also another option that help take away a lot of the guesswork and can get you into private water that doesn't see quite the pressure the public places do. Some shops offer float trips that are about the same cost as wade trips...floating is a fun way to fish (though be sure to ask about spin fishing if your son doesn't want to fly fish). Some guides or maybe shops, I have no idea, only allow fly fishing according to others who have inquired.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Thanks to all! I appreciate all the tips and yes, I'll report on my success or failure to catch, hopefully success! Can't wait for the first week of August.