Fly Tying

The RS2 is one of the more simple, yet effective flies out there. Especially for tailwater rivers that require small presentations. This fly looks great all the way down to size 26, and is relatively easy to tie in that size. But you can also fish them up to size 16 or possibly even larger if you so choose. The fly has a limited amount of materials, and once you get the hang of tying these, you can nock them out pretty quickly. They can mimic a midge emerger, or even a baetis emerger deepening on the color and size you tie it. Common colors are black, brown, gray, and olive. Also they can be tied in two tone as well. Build your body with one color dubbing, then add the wing, then make the head with another color dubbing. Gives an interesting look. Try gray/black, olive/brown, and white/black. Or get creative and make your own combo.

So I am using a dry fly hook for this, as I like the CDC to actually keep this up off the bottom. How I fish this is behind another fly which is weighted, to keep it down on the bottom, then this fly rides up higher to look like a bug emerging. However if you want this closer to the bottom, you can tie it with a heavier wire nymph hook, and even add some weight with some lead wire if you so choose. But be careful about adding too much lead as it will bulk up your fly.
Hook: Daiichi 1110 size 20
Thread: Black Veevus 16/0
Tail: Clear Microfibetts or Mayfly Tails
Dubbing: Black UV2 Fine and Dry
Wing: White CDC Oiler Puff

Glue: Hard as Hull Head Cement

That's a nifty trick,using the tag end to spread the tail.

I wish I could take credit for it but, Ive seen it elseware. Honestly not sure who showed me. But someone did. Lol

Here is another method to split tails which I use but based on the same method and so happens to be the same fly though I tie it as the original color and vary the colors but the dubbing is always 2 tones.

Tom, interesting thats the same way I split the tails. Man, this is hilarious! Just lets bring everyone elses videos into my thread and not discuss my video at all. What the heck is going on????? Geese people!

My bad. I watched your video. Thought you did the method of leaving the tag end of Thread to split the tails instead of clipping the tag for use later. I like the clipping tag off because you now can control the tails better. IE if one is low rotate the Thread and it can pick up or lower the fidbit. Not a bad video but both other videos show a better representation. First is originator so he set the mark and second kept close to it. The body is cigar shaped and fat in comparison to the other 2. As Tim Cammisa says from Trout and Feather less is more. In this pattern it holds truth.

Actually Im amazed by the tightlines video. Its amazing how they do this so well getting so tight into the fly. I mean my video is just as zoomed in and tight to the fly but I have to tie with my camera lense 1 from the Fly. And with it in my gut and me bending over the camera and not really able to see the fly (I use the camera lense to tie from so I can see what Im doing). I have to say, its realllllly difficult. Takes me like 10 tries because of that way of tying. I actually can tie these up quite well when not tying but, to get in that tight on such a small fly is not easy. I really would like to know how they film! Haha. Im sure they have another person actually filming, but not sure how they arent getting in so close to the fly to give them tying room.

Im sure they have a camera man as well. There is a commentator that says what and why the fly Tier is doing what he is doing. As for the videos yours is quite well done in regards to how you have to do them. Tim Commisa has his setup with the camera facing him and the camera remote on his knee to get the shot needed. Im sure that also is a plus in it doesnt get in the way and zooms usually go in tight.

Take care my friend. And yes in your waters the RS2 can be deadly. Great choice for your video.

Kudos