Fly Tying
islander727

Finally found plastic bead chain eyes.

"Your local craft store" they say. And I've scoured every one of them in my area. Nothing.

So I emailed a local professional tier who pointed me in the right direction.

So, I'm sharing it with you. Hobby Lobby sewing section, mixed in with the ribbons.

24 feet, 1.99.

IMG_20151207_163907_168.jpg

Weekly trips to Dollar Tree. I've got plastic bead chain in blue, orange, green, white and black. At work now, beads are at home.

Now is the time to stock up on plastic string beads! I seen a lot in the Christmas section at Wal-Mart I think they were either a 3 or 6 foot section in red, green, blue, silver, and gold color. I thought about buying some but I did not. I might go back and get me some. What were you think about using them on mikechell?

I use them on simple Congo hair minnows, mostly.

I've used them to make some dragon flies ... they're perfect size for dragon fly eyes.

I found a great supply for plastic bead chain in odd sizes at my local party store (where they have costumes and costume jewelry for St. Patrick's, Mardi Gras, etc. Usually the beads come as dime store necklaces in a variety of colors, sizes and shapes. I'm not using them commercially so a large supply hasn't been needed in my case. I'll make a point of looking into Hobby Lobby if I ever need the stuff in bulk. Thanks, Islander....

What material are they strung on? I'd be concerned that it might deteriorate over time/wetting, and the eyes might fall off the fly.

BTW Islander, haven't you ever heard that old song: "Barney Google, with the Goo Goo Googly eyes" ? That's what Flytire sent you.

What material are they strung on? I'd be concerned that it might deteriorate over time/wetting, and the eyes might fall off the fly.

I got the tip from Drew Chicone, so they should be okay. I hope.

All the plastic bead chains are molded onto nylon string. Strong and impervious to rot ... the only problem is the bead itsself breaking on a hard object.

If you feed them to the kind of fish we have in the 'Glades you won't worry for a moment about the plastic eyes holding up since the fly itself usually just gets shredded in a few bites.... Tough neighborhood! Seriously, though, the plastic eyes on nylon string hold up very, very well (and they don't rust they way metal beadchain does in the salt...

Haha!

Good Call Captn Bob! Similar in the NQld tropics... but no bull reds or laid up poons here :D