Fly Tying
zip

You're good-to's

Starting to fill up a SW box and was curious what others keep as a go-to fly.What's that one that always produces in the hard times and what's a favorite!

Well it depends what your going for. Definitely Clousers to start, but it would be very beneficial to know your targets and location etc.

That's a very regional question. Out east clousers, deceivers, half and halfs and surf candies would be a good start.

My go to flies when all else fails are these. If I don't get anything on these, I go somewhere else or go home because they aren't biting that day

post-18514-0-07487400-1468092154_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-46022100-1468092122_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-44155100-1468092070_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-37895400-1468092217_thumb.jpg

Fly choices for SW should also be based on the type of water & the fish species you'll be targeting. I always carry Deceivers, Seaducers, Clouser Minnows & Half & Half's, some basic bucktail streamers, rabbit strip flies & surface flies such as poppers, gurglers & Crease Flies. These are all general use type flies & work well in a wide variety of places & for many species particularly in open water. However, if for example you're targeting fish such as Redfish on a flooded grass flat, you'll likely want a different type of fly, such as a shrimp or crab pattern. In many cases, the actual pattern or color is not as important as it's size & weight, so it doesn't hurt to have variety.

I don't really have "go to" patterns, as what I'm listing have worked well for me over many years, most of the time. I've used some other patterns that were better for a specific situation, but for most SW fishing I'll go back to this list. I've never really found that I couldn't catch something on these if I could locate some fish. These are my basics & I'll add depending on where I might be going, and the type of water & species I might encounter.

BTW, I really like those Polar Fiber type streamers that agn54 has posted. (2nd & 3rd pics) They're not a pattern I've used a lot, but when I have, they've been productive, so are now another style I'll always carry. I like a SW variation of the Murdich Minnow that I tie too.

Most of the SW fly fishing I've done has been for Striped bass & Bluefish, in the Chesapeake Bay & tribs in MD so my fly selection would be different than in the example I cited about Redfish on a grass flat.

SW is no different to freshwater in that regard. Select your flies based on where you'll be fishing, & what you intend to target. wink.png

Edit:Misread

Gonna hit the Keys late fall.Got a trout trip before hand,but I want to go to Belize for permit.