Fly Tying
mdraft1

looking for a good source of seal fur dubbing

Hi everyone,

Any suggestions for a good source of seal fur dubbing? I have used the dubbing that John sells at feathersmc.com and it is really great stuff, but you pay for it! Just wondering if there are other sources for seal fur.

thanks in advance.

John was going to be my first suggestion, but since you are asking for an alternate source, you could buy real seal fur dubbing from Feather Craft (www.feather-craft.com). Here is a link to their seal dubbing. Great stuff and also great price ($1.25 USD/pack).

Real Seal Dubbing

Hi mdraft1,

Feather-Craft has a mix, but it isn't completely seal hair. There's a person in Canada named Paul Smith that's been selling baby seal hair for years at rock bottom prices. It's the best you can get for seal dubbing. It takes a little while to get due to the mail being slow at Spaniards Bay where he's located, but for the price he cannot be beat unless you have a relative that lives up north. His website is at this link: http://www.haresfeet.50megs.com/sealfur.htm He's as honest as they come and sold me quite an amount of natural and dyed baby seal well below what his prices are posted simply because he didn't have one color that I had wanted. He even went as far as offering to dye a batch, but it wasn't that big a deal. If your worried about it going through customs etc. don't be. It took one month from the time that I sent him off a Postal Money order till I received the dubbing. Just another option.

Regards,

Mark

I've not tried John McC's seal so can't comment, but the best seal I've ever used in 40+ years of tying & that's both amateur & pro is from Steve Cooper of www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk