Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Talk about a score on tying gear

Was hosting a jig tying clinic yesterday for a bunch of guys of my board. Some were green, and didn't even have a vise to tie on. So was going to share my vise with those who didn't have one.

Well, my Dad called me early yesterday morning. Said his neighbor had given him some of her deceased husbands flytying stuff for me to have. She told him if she only knew earlier, she would've given me the whole lot. But sold it off at a garage sale when he passed away 7-8 years ago. But found this box of stuff when she was cleaning out house since she was moving.

Here's the weird part. Come to find out, this guy was a professional fly tyer. All these years, I had to learn to tie on my own, and he never said a word. We BS'd about flyfishing, and he knew I was tying, and doing tying for people. Only thing that comes to mind, is that he didn't want competition. LOL. Well, this one box was a big rubbermaid tote. LOL. I'd HATE to think of all the stuff that she did sell. Mannnnnnnnnnnn. And I could've had it all free. She always loved me (I was the polite neighborhood kid, well, who always brought her smoked salmon he had caught biggrin.gif ). But look at the stash.

user posted image

user posted image

Yup, that's a regal vise. Tons of tools (actually good stuff too, materelli whip finisher, and lots of other stuff not seen in pictures). Also metz grade 1 capes, tons of threads, hooks, etc. Think this was his premiere stuff that he used most. But would've loved to see what else he had. Almost all of it is trout related, but may spark me to actually tie trout flies again. LOL. Haven't done it in years, but have all the stuff now. But came at a good time. The extra vise came in handy for the clinic I put on. 3 guys came without vises. So I only had one sitting in wings watching at any one time. Then, luckily, another guy brought his spare and we were set.

Some guys have all the luck, don't be jealous?.....yeah right.

It is kinda weird that the guy didn't mention any of that to you over the years dunno.gif

you know us fly fishers, especially trout guys, tight lips and solitude is key!! Nice score, and I am not jealous, keep teaching tying, it is obviously good karma!!

tight lines,

HDS

Thanks. Actually, I think it was that he knew I was tying professionally, even at a young age. Must've been afraid if he taught me anything new, I may take clients or something. LOL. Only ever went into his garage or living room/kitchen. Never back to his Den. Would've been nice to have been taught all the trout flies. Learned on my own, but would've sped up the learning curve. Didn't have internet back then. LOL.

Could be Kharma I guess. I've always taught kids for free. Never charge the youths to learn (am mentoring a local boy with ADHD on tying now). He's done well, and sounds like it's actually helped him focus. I know his mom is pleased because he's so focused. She just wishes he was that way with his school work. LOL.

Here's some expanded pictures. I had a chance to go through it all this afternoon.

user posted image

user posted image

Those regals are $200 vises. It is the multi position rotary model. It's older (looks a tad different) but not much. Mine has a nice brass handle where the newer ones has a plasticoat handle. But do believe this model goes for about $210, since it's the C clamp.

LOL OSD, depends, talk to my girlfriend. LOL.

Seriously. When I originally signed up for my first bulletin board years ago, Steelheader was taken. So was a few other #'s I wanted. So opted for my birthyear. So Steelheader69 was born. Been my moniker on all my boards eversince. Chances are, you see SH69, it's me.

Onto donations. Actually, have a few students who don't have much in way of money. I've bought them cheap vises to tie on their own over the last year or so. So gonna divy up most of it between them so they have materials/hooks to tie with. No offense, but rather donate the extras to some kids who can't afford it. Which are the kids I'm teaching (including the one I'm mentoring, but more then tying, but fishing skills as well).

Wow, I gotta say SH69, you are a man to look up to! That`s GREAT that your doin that stuff for those kids! You should be proud of yourself, I know I am! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Thanks guys. I just know what it was like being young and poor (as in no money, but not poor in love). So used to scrounge what I could. Plus, had to learn on my own, my Dad was all gear. He taught me to build rods, build spinners, etc, but wasn't a fly guy. Most of these kids don't have that luxury, so want to help them out. Most came about as students from visiting my garage sales and seeing my boats, rods, and pictures of me w/fish ont he walls. And, since I always tie during the sales, most are amazed at the tying. I normally give them a business card and tell them the deal about tying and to have their parents call me. Guess the big plus to the parents, I insist the kids keep their grades up, and put it to the parents whether they can come or not. So, they get grades out of their kids, and something to keep them busy that they like to do. Plus, love the look on their faces when they get a fly they feel is "fish worthy".

So, now have something to give each for Xmas. Was gonna just do a card, but can divy up and make some nice kits for each. What's really nice, I can tell them to simply keep their vises at home, since I have a vise at the house they can use. When I bought vises, I didn't go super expensive, but not cheap either. Better then I ever had. Luckily this was before my injury flared up and sent me home.