Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hopper legs

My daughter brought this stuff called pony bead lacing home from the trip to the craft store w/the battle ax. As soon as i saw it I tooh some to use like larve lace on a crazy charlie. but I thought that it might work for hopper legs so I heated up a pair of needle nose pliers and squeezed till it melted a little knotted and slid in a little hackle tip. Do you think that they will work? I am just trying this freshwater stuff out. they are pretty flexible and real stretchy so I thought they might "KICK" like a grass hopper. The stuff is cheap.99$ for five yards and she said that it came in other colors dunno.gif

post-2-1071518932.jpg

That looks sweet for hopper legs. I get lots of stuff at the craft stores, but I have never heard of pony lace. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm at the craft shop.

Bassturd it does look good....i guess what i'm thinkin is will it float on a fly or will it sink?

not puttin it down becuase it does look cool but thats the first thing that popped into my mind.

SD

Sink tests revealed that they float. I left one in the kitchen sink over nite and it was still floating thismorning. It might not be as good as a lake test but I dont have enough day light hours to try it right now. I tied Them on a deer hair flie and that should float too

thanks for the input

Morning guys,

Those legs look an awful lot like Shane Stalcup's commercially available legs (see pic). Except I bet getting them at the craft store is much cheaper.

http://hareline.com/images/harelinejpegweb/HL.jpg

I really wish I had access to all of these craft stores. Living in a semi-small city doesn't prove effective if you're a fly tyer looking for new materials. If anyone has this stuff in a store near by, and would be willing to help me out please get in touch with me. I would be greatful forever!

Cheers!

Bass-

Look at what you created by crimping with the pliers - do you see the markings that ADD to the 'legs' looking like 'hopper legs???!!! Fantastic discovery!!!

Tho' I have yet to use that stuff I've often looked at it for huge hellgrammite bodies. Another useful leg material is Raffia, which can be knotted and formed, somewhat, then waterproofed and 'set' with nail polish or whatever - kinda old school idea, but it always worked wink.gif

stalcups actually uses a stretch tubing i think. Same effect as above. Pony lace that I saw was not hollow. Is your stuff hollow?

john headbang.gif

yes it hollow you can slide a piece of about 80# mono in the end

it is made by Pepperell braiding co from pepperell Ma phone# 800 343-8114