Fly Tying

Crease Flies

If anyone has been looking at the saltwater forum John recently submitted groups of "crease flies" and truth be told, I had no idea what a crease fly was because all of Johns flies looked completely different. I did some searching and came across this great article and instructions for tying crease flies. If you don't know much about crease flies it's worth checking out: http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/Creasefly.htm

In October I attended the FFF Southern council conclave and watched a guy from Lousiana tie these. He wraped the hook in thread and then superglued it to the cutout piece of foam. He then colored it and then coated it with 30 minute epoxy. He mixed chopped myler in the epoxy before painting it on. Really made a sharp fly. He was selling them for $8.00 apiece. I made a couple when I got home. They are fairly simple to make.

]user posted image these flies are so easy to tie here is another variation that I used trying to match the black bomber that all of my conventional fishing buddies use at nite

Joe Blados designed those flies years back but they have just started to get popular. I still have the ones that he tied for me along with his instructions (somewhere) and they can be adapted to any kind of minnow/baitfish.

Joe also has a crab patern that he ties using the foam and I will dig it out and see what I can do.

Instead of chopping mylar and mixing it with the epoxy - you can get a very fine flake in just about any craft store and mix it with the epoxy. That is what I do and it looks great.

The flakes come in various sizes and I like the very fine. It is almost a powder and comes in pearl (my favorite), gold and silver.

You can also experiment with the foam and come up with a pretty neat crayfish pattern. I think that I saw one time somethng about this so I will hae to check again.

Bassturd, I really like that jointed black crease fly! Now you've given me an idea of what to have on the beaches at night next summer....thanks for sharing.

Joe,

That's what I meant on the chopped myler-that is he bought it already chopped. He also pointed out that you should add the myler at the end of the mixing time just before you paint it on. He said if you add it before then that it would tarnish while mixing. Don't know if that's true-just what he said.

Dave

I do not know about the tarnishing. I have never had it happen to me but then again I only use the pearl which is a finely chopped pearl mylar and not metalic.

I generally squeeze out the two parts, mix a little, put in the flake and then finish mixing but as I said, the stuff that I use is not metalic. Will have to check into that.

I've had good luck with Crease flies the last 2 or 3 years in fresh water, I've caught smallies, sunfish and trout on them. For fresh water I carry them from about an inch long to 3 inches long. 1 1/2 to 2 inches seem to work best. I tie mine a bit different in shape than Blado's original. No shad/bunker shaped minnows in my local streams. Mine are tied closer to the shape of Bassturds jointed one. I use a lot of 4 to 6 XL hooks to tie them, though I do tie jointed ones, I have the hook in the back portion of the fly.

I use white foam, though I've got a couple of black ones with a MOP or Motor Oil finish. Don't add sparkle or flash to the epoxy but to the foam itself. Here's what you need.

A sheet of craft foam, one with adhesive on one side makes it easier.

Craft foil, also known as hot pen embossing foil(A.C. Moores), Michael's also carries a foil.

If you can't get the foam with the adhesive backing, then you'll need a sealer and foil glue.

Foil is available in Silver, Gold, Copper, Red, Green, Motor Oil and if you can find it

Mother of Pearl.

To make this embossed foam(its other name is trademarked)the easy way is peel the backing off the foam and press the foil dull side down onto the foam, peel off the paper and the color stays on the foam.

If you're using regular foam. Apply a thin coat of sealer, let dry, apply a thin coat of foil glue, it dries transparent, let dry, sometimes I'll use two coats, then apply the foil and peel it off leaving the color behind. You ready to start tying.

My favorite for baitfish patterns is silver, then a thin coat of foil glue, then Mother of Pearl. I guess you could call it silver MOP.

Philly I tried putting the hook in the back but I thought it made the back of the flt sink too much hence the front hook

That it does, but if you look at some jointed plugs, the rapalas come to mind, the back end and the lure itself sit at an angle in the water. The ones I've tied up were actually intended for trout which are notorious short strikers. I've considered using a hook on both parts, or actually tying the pattern on that bead chain they use to make trolling sinkers and hanging a dressed hook on a split ring off the back for the tail.

Crease flies have been popular in Louisiana for years Bt $8.00 a pop!! Horrendouslky large profit margin. I casn probably tie 20 of these an hour, with just a little prep.

Mark Delaney