Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mitch

Best method for mono eyes w/ stalks

Although I've been tying since '99, I tied simple designs required for stripers, bluefish, and albies.

If I had an underwater microphone, I could probably hear the bonefish around here laughing at my flies, hence my further exploration into different patterns.

I found a new material at the craft store that looks like it will give good action in the water and fly well in the air during casting (it's wrapped on the hook like palmering hackle). This fly has a long way to go and I think that burnt mono with eyestalks are the best route. My questions, geared toward a 34007 #4 hook tied with lead eye barbells very close to the eye:

1. What pound test line? Is there a formula out there based on hook size?

2. Do I cut two individual stalks or double over one piece with an eye burnt at each end.

3. Riding inverted, is it better to tie the eyes from the top or bottom of the shank?

4. With a shrimpy-lookin' apprearance, is it better to have the eyes above the hook point (doubles as a weed guard) or below where it now blends in close with the little feelers and two long antennae?

Having difficulties right now with the digital camera-to-computer link.

Any other helpful hints are greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Mitch

mitch try using black craft bead chain (like for dolls) found at your local fabric store or craft shop. the other option you can do is get hard but mason line (mono) cut a section hold it in your hackle pliers and melt it with a lite er

mitch, check out Bob Marriott's Look under fly tying materials then look under eyes. They sale Rainy's bug eye sticks, I've used these and would recomend them to anyone wanting to make their own eyes. I have a pattern where I slide red seed beeds on them and they work great. punk.gif

Jim

RE:

1. What pound test line? Is there a formula out there based on hook size?

No. It depends on the pattern size you're playing with. In this case, I'd try 20# eyes for perspective; if they don't stand out enough, go up to 30#.

Did you review a primer I posted on how/where/why re: eyes? - I think burnt mono is the only thing I left out.

Addressing another aspect of 'eyes' - I suggested going to the local discount emporium. There, make way toward Hair and Beauty Products, to review the selection of manufactured styling brushes, searching for a brush with 'bristles' which suit the needs of the tier. Revlon makes a brush with clear mono bristles, black tips, in what looks to be between 50# and 80# material. I'm sure there are others.

2. Do I cut two individual stalks or double over one piece with an eye burnt at each end?

Many times it's easier to leave the stalk connected, finding the center and marrying on. With practice, making a set of eyes on a single stalk and marrying them to the hook doesn't add that much body to the profile; many times, when marrying on, it's easier to bind the eye stalks on a single length of mono, then wind to the split, taking a couple crossing wraps to splay them. You don't want them banging against each other.

3.Riding inverted, is it better to tie the eyes from the top or bottom of the shank?

Bottom.

4. With a shrimpy-lookin' appearance, is it better to have the eyes above the hook point (doubles as a weed guard) or below where it now blends in close with the little feelers and two long antennae?

Answered and disputed here and above - In this case, it presents a very interesting imagined visual profile. Most are tied along the shank; nothing says you can't create a weedguard by hi-tying them - sounds like it'd be cool!

Mitch,

What I use to make burnt mono eyes for just about any size saltwater fly is 30# Mason hard mono. I double a length and tie it to the top of the hook shank. I also use this type of mono for a weed guard when I do use one. An integrated weed guard/eyes combo is something I've never seen, I would think that the mono would be too long to be effective as a weed guard.

I don't tie a lot of flies with mono eyes. I fish with Clousers almost exclusively, and paint the dumbell eyes black. This works just fine for the picky bones and redfish we have here in Florida. If you are trying to tie a "shrimpy" looking fly, it doesn't have to look exactly like a shrimp. Some of the most effective flies around here are Tim Borski's bonefish patterns and they don't look like anything in particular, they just give an impression of something edible to a fish.

Mitch,

A bit hard to be specific without seeing the profile but burnt mono makes a convincing profile and, as long as it doesn't interfere with gap/hook-up, can go either inside the head to suggest snapping, pink, arrow, and other common shrimp profiles or atop the head to suggest the elevated eyes of species like the mantis shrimps. I often use 30 lb. Mason too and Dave's suggestion of plastic brush bristles that have the little nodules at the end is also a good one-- Scott Sanchez showed me that one a while ago and it is a very cool way to get lots of eyes cheap.

Couple other observations. Depending on how deep you are fishing try varying the size of the lead dumbells or wrap it with material to cushion it and reduce splash/noise impact as well as flash. Also you may want to try some of the newer, sharper SW hooks around and see if they improve your hook-up rate. They are a bit more expensive than the 34007s but may be worth it. I regularly use Daiichis, Tiemcos, and Gamakatsus these days.

Dick Brown

All great responses and I'll heed them.

Dick: The water depth I have been trapsing around is anywhere from 12 to 30 inches of clear water. The flats are coral with patches of sand. Flies with exposed hook points usually find the coral, hence my wanting to build something with a little protection.

I know things are a little hard to picture, especially with the digital camera-computer link acting up. I hear it with the most magnitude from both sets of grand-parents who track my kid's growth akin to stock brokers checking the bottom of the screen on MSNBC.

Dave: I did read your posts about eyes earlier and will pick up a brush as it sounds like a great idea. There's one Wal-Mart on the island and it is conveniently located by one of the two Sports Authority stores.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with great ideas.

Mitch