Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

7' spin rod

U8T1Nq.jpg
rQA52R.jpg
EIQi3G.jpg
ikSI5y.jpg

While fly rods are my main source of work, probably 98% are fly rods, I do get the request for a spin rod every so often. This one is a 7' 2pc mod/fast power with Microwave guide system, royal blue wraps with purple metallic trim and some spiral accents.

Steve what are your opinions on the microwave guides? And do you think simply replacing the first guide on a spinning rod would make for a noticeable improvement on casting.

I'll be honest, when I first saw them come out with the microwave guide system some years ago I originally thought it was nothing more than a gimmick. So it actually took me about 2 years to ever even try them. Once I did try them I was really shocked how wrong I was. It's an amazing set up for a spin rod. Normally with COF (Cone of flight) guides which are the standard spin guides of large rings and progressively smaller size/height frame, you get the big loops of line as it comes off the reel and that creates a lot of friction as it passes through every guide down the rod. With the microwave guides you get the loop of line off the reel, then it hits the first stripper guide and is knocked down to a straighter path for the line. Then the tamer guide which is the second guide gets the line path down to a lower level where its can travel direct through the running guides which are spaced at about 5" apart from each other.

I have never tried just changing the first guide, but I personally would think it wouldn't work right just doing the one guide. It needs the tamer guide (2nd guide) and then it needs all the small opening close spaced running guides. Without the rest of the small opening guides the line itself is going to have too much room to bounce around in the factory guides larger loops so I think anything you gain from the first guide would be lost by the time it travels through the rest of the stock large guides.

Now that prettyful! I am aware that that isn't a word, but who cares.