Fly Tying
flyty1

What is your favorite fly pattern?

Do you have a favorite fly or flies? Maybe it is one you like to tie or a "go-to" pattern.

My "Panfish Attractor". I've caught more fish on this than on any other pattern. I developed it to be weedless. I found out, later, that it's similar to other named patterns, but I didn't know it before.

It is now my go to pattern ... and it's the fly I'd have if I was only allowed to fish on pattern for the rest of my life.

Panfish attractor.jpg

My "Panfish Attractor". I've caught more fish on this than on any other pattern. I developed it to be weedless. I found out, later, that it's similar to other named patterns, but I didn't know it before.

It is now my go to pattern ... and it's the fly I'd have if I was only allowed to fish on pattern.

Why fix it if it aint broke:)

All depends on species for me. This year it has been a size 6 or 8 black headed pink nymph with biot wings and but of marabou in the tail.... had been working exceptionally well on tilapia and local tarpon (ox eye herring).

Streamer / bucktails "when big fish stop eating little fish" - Alaska Mary Ann small and sparse for streams. Ghost / smelt patterns for trolling in the canoe.

That would probably work for bone fish, Mike. Depends on what I'm fishing for.

Trout- Dry Fly- CDC and Elk, can also be used as an emerger. Nymph- Soft Hackle PT Nymph.

Pan Fish- Top Water- Poppers and sliders. Subsurface- Right now, Mini and Chubby Mop flies

Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass- Top Water- Poppers and sliders. Subsurface- The Calcasieu Pig Boat has been working well the last couple of years.

Chain Pickerel, Pike and Musky- Top Water- Crease flies Sub surface- a variation of Bob Pops Semper Fleye

Salt Water- Top Water- Crease Flies. Sub surface- Hoo Fly variations and the Semper Fleye variation.

I love parachutes. I tie them for a variety of hatches, from tiny midges to big drakes. If I'm fishing a parachute it means mayflies are hatching and trout are rising, and there's not much better than that in my book. Oh, except tailing bonefish, maybe I need to rethink this.

I guess my favorite eye candy fly is the traditional Royal Coachman, both wet and dry, and I like tying them too..Completely useless where I live but a great brook trout fly for Northern Maine.

A more honest answer is I don't have one favorite fly.

So many to choose from.

When I first started progress wa measured in how well you could tie an Invicta, that is still a great fly.

Then there are the few patterns that I created which have stood the test of time. Especially my "White Nymph". It has on three occasions caught for me before I have cast. Just dropped it in the edge of the water, and a fish has swum up and eaten it, before I had sorted myself out ready to cast.

Three flies I use a lot, CdC & Elk, Humpy, and Klinkhamer should all get a look in. Maybe I should add in Griffith's Gnat. Remarkably good for such a simple fly.

If I have to really pin it down to one fly. The one fly I anticipate most of all. Yes this really is my favourite. The last one of an order!

Cheers,

C.

If I absolutely had to take only one fly for any trip it would have to be a black woolly bugger.

If I could only fish one fly it would be a craft fur minnow in either all white, chartreuse over white, pink over white or electric chicken

For the brook trout around here it is the muddler minnow followed closely by the leadwing coachman. If I was forced to choose I think I'd go with the muddler.

Les

Since I spend most of my time fishing for river smallmouth I'm going with the clouser. One of my favorites to tie as well since it's quick, simple, inexpensive material and eternally customizable.