Fly Tying
walpy

Cape Coral, FL - Let's go fishing!

I'll be headed down for the first time early April - never been but plan to try and fish while I'm there.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears (or, eyes?)... but I'll be on foot, no car, unless I can find a bike to rent.

May to a 1/2 with a guide but I'm on the fence given the price.

Any tips for flies to tie up, or walk-able areas would be so appreciated. I'll fish the canal we're staying on but who knows what'll be in there.

My goal is to hook a Jack or Sea Trout, stretch goal is a Red or Snook. Really just trying to see any many species as I can!

Company is always welcome, beer always tastes better with friends.

Welcome to the active side of the site, Walpy. I don't live close enough to be of use. There are a couple of members closer. What I hear is that 3 to 4 inch, white or light pink streamers will get more interest then anything else.

I have heard in the salt, when in doubt, use purple. I am a saltwater freak,and purple always worked.

Appreciate the tips!

Im trying to figure where I can fish w/o a boat. Been told its basically not possible assuming you want to catch anything :/ getting a guide may be do-able but that means only fishing 1 day. That stinks.

Appreciate the tips!

Im trying to figure where I can fish w/o a boat. Been told its basically not possie assuming you want to catch anything :/ getting a guide may be do-able but that means only fishing 1 day. That stinks.

Depending on where you will be in Cape Coral it won't be far from water as Cape Coral is mostly canals built from the whole area being filled in & then dug out. Whether there's tidal flow depends on fish being available. There are freshwater ponds & lakes too. Good time for sight fishing since it's before the rainy season.

I was just down there similar situation except my brother and sister in law live there, I had the most success with good sized streamers 3 or 4 inches in length, in variations of grey and white, also on topwater gurglers and poppers.

You'll find fish everywhere just get out and fish a few of my favorite times were the mornings we got the beach before sun up.

If anyone would be intested in fishing together or splitting a boat, let me know! I talked to Capt. Zink about getting something on the books.

Hi Walpy, I live in N Ft Myers, my folks live in Cape Horrible...err I mean Cape Coral. Lost of places you can fish the canals especially the fresh water side. You can also fish Ding Darling on Sanibel. It is likely to be a bit early for snook off of the beach. Down south there is the Tamiami Trail (us41), CR 82going to Goodland/Marco Island, and SR29 going to Everglades City/Chokoloskee those are south (actually west) of Naples. You can spend a lifetime fishing those. Lots of small snook and tarpon along the trail. There are also few not so small ones too, remember a 60# tarpon is still considered a "baby". That fishery depends on water levels, if there is water thee are usually fish somewhere to be found. Further east you get into fresh water. It's a unique fishery, fish in front of you , Detroit's finest <20 ft behind you. Watch your back cast and stay behind the guard rails.

I've known Capt Pete Greenan for 20yrs he fishes Sarasota and Charlotte Harbor. I also hear good things about Capt Bill Blanton, he fishes from the Harbor to the Glades. Finally and certainly not least, Chokoloskee is about 1.5 hrs south and our very own Capt Bob LeMay fishes out of there, he needs no introduction, one of these days I'm going to charter him myself. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a fishing guide down here, just make sure they actually cater to fly fisherman, the vast majority don't. I'm not saying they won't try their best but as everyone here knows fly fishing requires an adjustment in tactics and often attitude. Look for light tackle artificial/fly guides. Many if not most guides will take you out and chunk for redfish, nothing wrong with that but probably not what you are looking for.

That time of year is fresh water Everglades time for me, but that's not really fishing, it's catching! Native and exotic/invasive panfish are the big draw , if the Lm Bass are in the mood you can catch 100+ a day with an occasional Peacock Bass thrown in. It's about 2 hrs away. Lake O is an hour away. I've never done it but you can rent a yak and fish the Estero river which is 30-40min with traffic during snowbird season.

Tell me a little more of what you want to do and and I'll tell you what flies work well for me.

My life is a little unsettled at the moment so I can't in good faith commit to anything but I do have a boat and can certainly show you some of the on foot fishing. Like I said though I can't commit to anything, hit me up about me being directly involved once we get closer. At the very least I can mark some stuff on a map.

Swamp